ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone insurance issue

Mk4 .:R32
I bought an iphone 4, when they first came out last June, and had it insured through my bank (so obviously supplied the handset details like the IMEI).

I had the phone replaced Feb this year under warranty at the Apple shop, but forgot to tell my insurance company about the new IMEI. I've since had to make a claim on the insurance.

The accepted the claim, so I sent off the broken phone but after a week and a half I'd heard nothing. So I rang them and turns out I need to provide proof I replaced the original handset under warranty (an official Apple document with both the old and new IMEI numbers).

So I went to the apple store, in Manchester, the 'genius' at the genius bar said they can't provide a document with both IMEI numbers, but could provide a document with a repair number, the original handset serial number and the new handset's IMEI.

Turns out this is no good, and according to the insurance company, Apple do provide documents with both IMEI numbers on (as the insurance company get a lot of iPhone claims). So I rang Apple tech support (as Manchester is over an hour's drive from me). Spoke to some America girl who seemed a bit of r****d, she 'passed my query on' and apparently they'd respond within 48 hours via email. That was 4 days ago.

Any 'Apple Genuises' on here care to help?

Mondial 172Cup (A/C)
as far as i can remember, Apple don't keep records of IMEI's on their system.

Apple work on serial numbers only for repairs and replacements.

Before working at Apple, i used to work at Carphone Warehouse... when customers used to have this problem, just a simple Apple Genius Bar Work Authorisation Form (what the Genius gives you when you get a phone swapped/repaired/etc) and that is good enough.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Had the same issue, o2 by any chance? LSG sub out?

In the end after I kicked off, o2 proved id been using that phone just from what the sim said? They wrote to the insurance company and It was sorted

LSG = Bad news anyway, they are dire. Nothing but trouble with them.

Apple must be able to provide some form of proof though.