ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 6 Error 53

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
This is utterly atrocious behaviour.

You buy a phone outright, that phone belongs to you. You break it, you repair it, it is surely completely illegal to stop you from being able to repair your own phone and force you to go to them.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I try and stand up for Apple but when I read that it was 100% Apple scam.

They really really really do themselves no favours... I'm sure there are meant to be things in place that stop company's locking people to there repair sevices.. I'm thinking more motor industry not being allowed into invalidate warranty because a local garage does the work (using approved parts)

Must be different in the tech world.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
I could fully understand Apple invalidating the warranty, but bricking the phone because you had damage repaired is beyond ridiculous.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Its probably partly because people fit shitty batteries etc and end up having a phone that blows up in the middle of the night and the fingers get pointed at apple when its not their battery in the phone.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Its probably partly because people fit shitty batteries etc and end up having a phone that blows up in the middle of the night and the fingers get pointed at apple when its not their battery in the phone.

It's mainly the Touch ID sensor IIRC, all about 'security'

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I could fully understand Apple invalidating the warranty, but bricking the phone because you had damage repaired is beyond ridiculous.

What's weird is that the phone doesn't need to be repaired by the sounds of it. If the phone knows it's damaged, it f***s you over.

A spokeswoman for Apple told Money (get ready for a jargon overload): “We protect fingerprint data using a secure enclave, which is uniquely paired to the touch ID sensor. When iPhone is serviced by an authorised Apple service provider or Apple retail store for changes that affect the touch ID sensor, the pairing is re-validated. This check ensures the device and the iOS features related to touch ID remain secure. Without this unique pairing, a malicious touch ID sensor could be substituted, thereby gaining access to the secure enclave. When iOS detects that the pairing fails, touch ID, including Apple Pay, is disabled so the device remains secure.”

If this is true, let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they're genuinely looking out for us. Why not just disable Touch ID and anything that it works with.

Proper douchebag move on apples part.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
Anyone else heard the rumour that the 7 will have a smaller than the standard 3.5mm headphone jack? Seems so ridiculous but I guess they did it with the new mac book, no usb

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Samsung did something similar though by updating firmware to stop the use of third party "smart covers"... Nothing real came from the complaints and Samsung carried on.

It royally fucked my Note4 up though whilst updating it and having a non-Samsung cover!

I'm the type of person that would only let Apple touch my s**t anyway after being sent to an "approved repair centre" in the above example and it was the worst experience EVER! That being said, if deliberate, is very naughty Apple.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
I also wouldn't let anyone else touch my apple products, I always have a worry I'll get a bag handed back with loose parts in.. They're not offer qualified in anything, just a guy that's changed a few screens and decided he'll start a stall/shop..

I won't be long before there aren't any headphone jacks..

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
How long before you pay £1k for an iPhone that doesn't exist because it saves space? And by having nothing, everyone has to buy one because they're breaking Apple's policy of having copyright on nothing.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think it's fair enough Apples software works so well because it's a closed system. Allow third party's into it and you cause yourself no end of problems.
Imagine if everyone with third party touch IDs had there accounts cleared, blame would instantly be pointed at Apple.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Thing is if you replace the touch ID with a third party item the touch doesn't work. So your point is invalid.

Anyone trying to defend apple on this one is mental.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My point was a simple example of how taking things out of apples control creates risks on there end which could cost them money so it is perfectly valid.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'd be pissed off if my phone was stolen, and they were then able to access my phone with a new button and use applepay / paypal / use personal info against me, so I understand why they've done it. I do however think you should be able to have 3rd party work validated in an apple store.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It's literally about the Touch ID iirc. When most phones go off for repair the Touch ID gets changed with it due to damaging it and or the cables.

Remember the tin foil hats coming out with apple and their fingerprint scanner keeping our data on their servers and the iPhone 5s! Shock horror!
Now we find out their system is actually pretty secure and it stops every Tom dick and Harry using your phone to buy Coke and hookers using your finger print in £30 chunks we complain because it bricks the phone. Sounds like a superb safety feature to me!

Moral of the story, don't break your phone, and if you do use an approved system to repair it to keep your identity and money safe!

Imagine, £140 for a repaired iPhone from Apple or £50 from George on the high street. Saving of £90.
George didn't use decent parts and Apple has no validation that £90 saving could be easily chewed up by some scrote nicking your phone (and you having to go to apple anyway, how ironic) and taking his chav misses to the cinema and treating her to some popcorn 3 times

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
To be fair though they don't need to brick the whole phone, if it really is a Touch ID issue then just completely disable the Touch ID if a third party has to touch the phone.

The issue apparently isn't to do with repairs either. One person is reported to have a bit of minor damage to his phone, it works fine for ten months until he updates, the phone realised it's damaged an s***s itself. Locking the guy out.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair though they don't need to brick the whole phone, if it really is a Touch ID issue then just completely disable the Touch ID if a third party has to touch the phone.

The issue apparently isn't to do with repairs either. One person is reported to have a bit of minor damage to his phone, it works fine for ten months until he updates, the phone realised it's damaged an s***s itself. Locking the guy out.

Easy to see if the cable to the Touch ID is damaged the phone can recognise that and s**t itself off...?

I agree it's a bit much but from what I read yesterday apple stores are revalidating sensors for those suffering with this error.

Trouble is Touch ID gets you into everything these days

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Anyone else heard the rumour that the 7 will have a smaller than the standard 3.5mm headphone jack? Seems so ridiculous but I guess they did it with the new mac book, no usb
Won't be smaller, it'll disappear all together and use the lightening port.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Good, don't think I've ever used the earphone jack on my phone, much rather the space be used by a bigger battery or something.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So you'll be forced to use their terrible headphones or buy a £50 adapter?
There are advantages (full digital), but yes. I refuse to believe anyone is surprised by Apple trying to lock users in to their products. Always been the way, always will.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Has no one listened? If you change the touch ID button or ribbon touch ID doesn't work, never has never will as the serial number of the part is registered with apple when made and no other button would work, not even one from another genuine phone.

Them disabling the phone on top of this is purely ridiculous and you're all sat here saying it's for security when the security is already in place to stop what you're all trying to say this achieves.

Mental.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's not just Apple who do it.

I was working on a hydraulics system once which had been built and fitted by an external manufacturer. When it was disassembled it turned out that all the connections were wanky as f**k with 2 O-seals, a Dowty seal and a two piece metal insert on every one. Of course none of these were off the shelf items and the only way to get new ones (a regular maintenance task) was to source them direct from.... you guessed it. The OEM. So some parts that would ordinarily cost 0.££ ended up costing ££££.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I use my headphone jack at least an hour a day, i'd be gutted if they got rid. Bluetooth just isn't there yet with sound quality unless you spend £££. I'd like to think i'd f**k Apple off if it happened but i like how mac/iphone/apple tv work together.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
There are already Lightning headphones. They'll probably include some free in the box... who cares. I got some £70 Bluetooth headphones for Christmas and they sound pukka, bruv.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Manufacturers have been locking people into products for years. It's nothing new that only relates to Apple.

Plus, you have the ultimate choice of whether not to use Apple projects.

I continue to use Apple because I like them and I can use them. My experience of Android is that it's hard work. I'm not into the "good stuff" that Android offers. BlackBerry? Lol. Microsoft / Nokia. Again, the UI and architecture is horrid.

A lot of people are into the Oneplus thing, but again, I'm not a tech, so it holds no appeal.

As for getting things replaced at Apple. I do it because you get the 3 month warranty on the repair. Yes it's more expensive, but I will be surprised if this isn't challenged in Europe.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Manufacturers have been locking people into products for years. It's nothing new that only relates to Apple.

Plus, you have the ultimate choice of whether not to use Apple projects.

I continue to use Apple because I like them and I can use them. My experience of Android is that it's hard work. I'm not into the "good stuff" that Android offers. BlackBerry? Lol. Microsoft / Nokia. Again, the UI and architecture is horrid.

A lot of people are into the Oneplus thing, but again, I'm not a tech, so it holds no appeal.

As for getting things replaced at Apple. I do it because you get the 3 month warranty on the repair. Yes it's more expensive, but I will be surprised if this isn't challenged in Europe.

The oneplus threads are a joy to read, I spend last night installing tampon jelly babies 2.1 to my phone to get more battery life and with the new kernals of Orion it actually made the phones start up faster.. That said I'm going to install Tarzan ya mum 3.6 with Mexican pancake..

Or I get an iPhone and not get involved.

Even with the apple bs, I expect I'll have the iphone7, 8 and 9.. Omg 7,8,9! must have been hungry.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The oneplus threads are a joy to read, I spend last night installing tampon jelly babies 2.1 to my phone to get more battery life and with the new kernals of Orion it actually made the phones start up faster.. That said I'm going to install Tarzan ya mum 3.6 with Mexican pancake..

Or I get an iPhone and not get involved.

Even with the apple bs, I expect I'll have the iphone7, 8 and 9.. Omg 7,8,9! must have been hungry.
Yet for all its "shitness" you can still remove the stock apps from your home screen. [emoji1]

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
When the phone runs out of battery or is turned off it won't reboot, just stays on the apple screen