ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iPhone 5s or no?

ST1050, 320d
Need your expert advice guys, it's upgrade time and I can't decide whether I should bother upgrading my 4 to a 5s. Vodafone are offering 8gb of data, unlimited texts and calls for £47 pm for 2 years. Alternatively I could get a sim only contract with unlimited texts, 600 mins of calls or whatever and say 1gb of data for around £20 and keep my 4. Is the 5s worth that much more a month? Thoughts?

Renault Clio MK3
Personally I'd say no - I have an iPhone 5 and its plenty fast enough, I pay £30 a month for Unlimited Calls/Texts and 1GB Data.

It's up to you however, if you think the extras the 5S gives then go for it, but £47 a month is f**king ridiculous IMO

ST1050, 320d
Personally I'd say no - I have an iPhone 5 and its plenty fast enough, I pay £30 a month for Unlimited Calls/Texts and 1GB Data.

It's up to you however, if you think the extras the 5S gives then go for it, but £47 a month is f**king ridiculous IMO

I agree, what network are you on?

Three have the best contract prices with the most data and stuff. I bought mine outright so it worked out cheaper in total, but I'd really recommend the upgrade. I can't use the 5/4S/4/3GS etc. now they feel horrible.

Fiesta ST-2
I'm in the same predicament at the min. Can't decide whether to go sim only with my 4s as it's been fine since the ios7 update.. Or upgrade to the 5s and sell this. Decisions decisions.

DB.

BMW 440i
Depends how happy you are with your 4!

My mrs iPhone4 has both buttons broken and is incredibly slow, she can't wait to upgrade in a couple months time!

I'd certainly be upgrading, love my 5 compared to 4S, and the jump your making is bigger than that!

I'd say go for it, I have a 4 and I'm about to make the jump to the 5S soon. Even using the gf's 5 is so much faster. Can't wait.
I just can't decide on colour :(, love the space grey, but like the exclusive feel of the gold as not many people have been able to get them.

ST1050, 320d
Tbf, it does everything I ask of it, and the home button isn't too bad atm. Shiney new 5s is so tempting though!

Check out talktalk's mobile deals.

£15 a month for unlimited txts and minutes with 4gb data.

Or

£7.50 a month for unlimted txts, 500mins and 1gb data.

They use the Vodafone network.

I'm not a heavy mobile user and managed to get the latter deal for half price.. £3.75 per month for the year.

work for BMW
i wouldn't pay over £20 a month for an iphone, so many better phones out there. any android phone!!

DB.

BMW 440i
i wouldn't pay over £20 a month for an iphone, so many better phones out there. any android phone!!

Depends on peoples circimstances, when you own an iMac and iPad, it makes perfect sense to have an iPhone and have continuity through all devices.

+ if numerous family members have them (Everyone I know does), Facetime is a plus!

Check out talktalk's mobile deals.

£15 a month for unlimited txts and minutes with 4gb data.

Or

£7.50 a month for unlimted txts, 500mins and 1gb data.

They use the Vodafone network.

I'm not a heavy mobile user and managed to get the latter deal for half price.. £3.75 per month for the year.
Three do the same but you get unlimited data. You could use 30gb in one month and nothing would change.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You could always buy my mint condition, three day old replacement, iPhone 5 off of me.. Then get a sim only plan. Newer and far faster than your 4, without being bum raped on contract for a 5s ;-)

Renault Clio MK3
You could always buy my mint condition, three day old replacement, iPhone 5 off of me.. Then get a sim only plan. Newer and far faster than your 4, without being bum raped on contract for a 5s ;-)

Nice sales pitch ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
He doesn't have to buy my one specifically, but if he buys any mint condition 5 off of someone for say £330, then gets a 15£ contract over a year then he'd be quids in. With a total cost of about 500 over the year.

ST1050, 320d

I could be persuaded...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sure thang, just FYI, it has a brand spankers box, headphones that literally haven't been unboxed, a charger that was only unravelled once. It's literally new as a new thing ;)

(and if you're wondering what sort of weird wouldn't use any of the bits that cam with his phone... I have a work iphone 5 too, so I just used all the bits from that and never touched these).

ST1050, 320d
Ah, thanks for the offer but I've just spoken to Vodafone and with a bit of haggling they've sorted me out an upgrade for a fairly decent price. iPhone 5 16gb, unlimited texts and calls and 1gb data for £33 p/m. I'll sell my 4 and make some money back from that :)

work for BMW
Depends on peoples circimstances, when you own an iMac and iPad, it makes perfect sense to have an iPhone and have continuity through all devices.

+ if numerous family members have them (Everyone I know does), Facetime is a plus!

I have a mac book pro, and a ipad..
it doesn't bother me in the slightest not being able to have continuity , i have a better phone for a lot lot cheaper :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Ah, thanks for the offer but I've just spoken to Vodafone and with a bit of haggling they've sorted me out an upgrade for a fairly decent price. iPhone 5 16gb, unlimited texts and calls and 1gb data for £33 p/m. I'll sell my 4 and make some money back from that :)

I'll sell mine no problems so I really don't mind, but if that's a 5 then you'll generally speaking get a considerably better deal buying outright.

Cost of phone? Length of contract? Let say you sell your four for 125, that'd be 200 for the phone then you get the same for £21 a month sim only over only 12 months. Unless they've offered you some cracking deal, I'd be surprised if it works out better as it normally doesn't.

ST1050, 320d
I'll sell mine no problems so I really don't mind, but if that's a 5 then you'll generally speaking get a considerably better deal buying outright.

Cost of phone? Length of contract? Let say you sell your four for 125, that'd be 200 for the phone then you get the same for £21 a month sim only over only 12 months. Unless they've offered you some cracking deal, I'd be surprised if it works out better as it normally doesn't.

I had a look at the numbers earlier, and unless I managed to get a 5 outright for dirt cheap i.e less than £200, then renewal was the better option. I would have had to go with a pretty s**t tariff for it to have worked out cheaper, and also I could do without spending money on a handset lol.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I pay £38 p/m when the 5 came out, if your getting the 5 for £33 p/m? imo thats not a good deal.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
With ee. Unlimited txt's, calls and 5gb of data which i never even get close too. Oh and the handset was foc at the time.

Last edited:
  ST1050, 320d
Fair do's, I'm basing it on what I would get from 3 for the same deal. iPhone 5s with Vodafone for the same tariff is something ridiculous like £47 pm.

ST1050, 320d
I'm just basing it on what I would pay if I left Vodafone and went elsewhere, seems about the going rate tbh. Also, I'm lazy and this option requires the least effort!