ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent Humming

Jag Mondeo -Type
Hello Expert cliosporters

Over the past few days an intermittent quite high pitched humming noise has started to come from the front passenger side wheel area.

Generally starts when been driving for a few miles, and goes as soon as the brakes are applied lightly and comes and goes anyway, sometimes going over bumps stops it, but this may just be coincidence.

Thinking maybe a pad thats knackered although they arent that old and have loads of life left. That or maybe a wheel bearing but there is not really any play in the wheel when its jacked up, cv boot is fine.

So not sure what else to look at / look for. Might try taking the caliper off tomorrow and check pads not split and caliper is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

Duncan

www.renparts.co.uk
probably wheel bearing, but might be a case of stripping the caliper, copper slipping everything and reassembling.....

Im experiencing something similar on the back and have noticed that one of my wheels is a different size to the rest. so i dont know whether thats my problem. I aint that clued up on cars m8 which is why i come on here but ive also heard someone mention the shockers when u get road noise.

Chris

Jag Mondeo -Type
Well wheel bolts all tight, wheels all the same size!, Im fine doing the brakes etc, but not done a wheel bearing before, Im alright with a spanner is a wheel bearing a d.i.y job, as i havent got a ball joint splitter, are these expensive or completely necessary? Also anyone know who much wheel bearing are for the 172s?

If its a wheel bearing you will generally find the noise will be worse when you turn the car one way and go when turned the other.

Jag Mondeo -Type
I have only noticed it when going in a straight line and it comes and goes quite a bit. Doesnt get worse when cornering, accelerating etc. Just when going along either in gear or not. Just a slight tap on the brakes and it goes away. Guess it has to be a knackered brake pad or brakes not releasing fully perhaps?

My wheel noise is when im turning so sounds like the bearings. Are they dear to replace? Sorry to take over ya topic m8!

Cj