ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent headlight/wipers/windows/indicators fault.

Clio
Does anyone know what might be causing the following on the 172?

I keep getting a fault usually when I first start the car, first 30 seconds to a minute everything works fine then all of a sudden the car goes crazy, the lights normally either turn off or flicker on and off stupidly quick, the indicators and wipers stop working but everything else is fine, then maybe a minute or less later everything comes back on and all is fine again. Repeat this a few times and then all of sudden I can drive forever and everythign is fine. I also notice that when it does seem to stop working I get a tick tick ticking sound coming from somewhere near the passenger footwell?

Cheers,
Pete

UCH is fucked mate. Mines doing exactly the same, probably a faulty relay inside the UCH or something.

Real PITA when it happens going down the motorway, Click no lights.

Volvo S60 T5
Defo a UCH fault, we have changed a fair few , works out around £300 if I remember correctly

UCH is the control unit for most of the cars electrics, wipers/lights/immobiliser/windows and so on.

Its the body computer, located under the passeneger footwell. About £250 ish, then you gotta have the thing configured and keys reprogrammed by renault. So probs an hours labour all in.

Beaten to it.

I had this exact same fault mate.

Turned out a passenger had hit the UCH with their feet and one of the relays wasn't connected properly.

I took all the relays out one by one and refitted them securely and *touch wood* its never did it again. That was over 6 months ago and had no problems since

I had this exact same fault mate.

Turned out a passenger had hit the UCH with their feet and one of the relays wasn't connected properly.

I took all the relays out one by one and refitted them securely and *touch wood* its never did it again. That was over 6 months ago and had no problems since

I have seen that before, but this intermittant flicking on and off is a faulty UCH, you will find when it happens your plip key wont work either.

Clio
Cheers guy, thanks very much for the info.

Bit more though....... I had a fiddle with the wires today under the glove box and I can start and stop the problem moving the wires about. Could it possibly be a loose wire or am I clutching at straws?

Cheers guy, thanks very much for the info.

Bit more though....... I had a fiddle with the wires today under the glove box and I can start and stop the problem moving the wires about. Could it possibly be a loose wire or am I clutching at straws?

No, you're clutching at wires.

Audi A3
sorry to re-open an old thread, bongy, you mention the lights flickering definitely means its the UCH, right?

ex-Chinese Dave

ClioSport Club Member
Bumped

On my 172 Cup the indicator makes the clicking noise sometimes and other times it doesn’t. Could this be a sign of a loose wire or connector under the passenger seat?