ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Interior loom - what can I remove?

Right in doing some more stripping in the ph1, I'm removing the gear knob surround and switches (being fitted where the radio should be) all the seat/airbag/airbag ecu loom is normally hidden underneath this.

Can I just cut these wires away? There are no airbags anyway as they have all been removed.

I'm just planning on tucking the obd port under the dash and cable tying it up so its there for future use just hidden!

All help appreciated!

Cup In bits
Split the loom open so you see where everything goes and just trace back and make sure you don't cut out the earths for the OBD port or any adjoining wires. You will see the earths when you get it opened up, there heat shrunk together and black.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
on mine, from the big plug in the passenger foot well backwards, I unraveled it all and removed wiring to the rear lights for things such as reverse lights, fog lights, then heated rear screen, wiper motor wiring, all speaker wiring and boot lights, then covered it all in an over braid to make it look a lot neater and to protect it nicely

when I get chance ill aim to do the same up under the dash and see what can be removed with the airbag nonsense.
aiming to have the main ecu loom extended aswell, so the ecu can sit in the glovebox, it already sits on a new mounted bracket and the bulkhead has the hole and grommet ready to go, but its having time to get to it.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I'm dying to remove the airbag ECU and all the seat wiring but I'll end up breaking something.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Handbrake warning light wire is in that lot too, so don't cut that out.

I re-routed mine and then picked up a separate pin in the plug that was spare after id removed the rest of the wiring.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm dying to remove the airbag ECU and all the seat wiring but I'll end up breaking something.

you can tho, all the sensors on the sills, the airbag ecu and relevant sensors can be unplugged, the wiring then can be curled up and tucked up where the main airbag used to sit under the dash, just reconnect the earths.
obviously the relevant warning lights will come on, but that depends if its a road car or not.
all of the sensors can then be removed and stored in the garage.

from the main air bag ecu loom, again so far ive unpicked that, and kept the OBD2 and 12v socket point still down in the vague area it would normally have been, utilizing the concaved bit of plastic under the lower dash where the centre consul would have joined, and remounted them there so they can still be used if required. everything else is hidden, and hopefuly in the near future removed.

I did the same with the ignition barrel wiring, and removed the steering lock.
this now works from a basic switch panel where the head unit would once have been, a main cut off switch, a power on flick switch, and a push button start.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Will see how you get on with yours Frazer then you can do mine :D , my airbag ecu wiring is tucked up behind the dash but really need to get the dash out and sort out the wiring and loose the glovebox.

Last edited:
I wasnt planning in going the full hog and stripping the loom back, more so just snip them where they merge into one big wrap at the obd port? Is this ok?

Will I need to do anything with thee bare ends, some sparky tape sound the lot of each individual wire?

Cup In bits
Just cut through them all at once with the engine revving at 7 grand, will be fine.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Probably best aye, or a hammer and chisel. Either or haha. Lubricate the wires with WD 40 mind for easy cutting.

You know that though.

As said, trace the wires back one at a time and chop them out.. Think people normally f**k thing up using a multimeter and continuity to trim the looms, then they end up chopping out spliced earths / lives etc