ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance when buying/selling privately

M135i
I recently bought my first car from a private sale. Until now I've always purchased from a dealer and part-ex'd my car at the same time. Obviously I've always taken test drives for granted as the dealer has insurance to cover it.

When I bought mine I only got driven in the car by the then owner. Obviously I had a good nosey round and all was fine on the test drive, but it did occur to me afterwards this could have been a bit foolish on my part not getting a feel for the car.

I did think about adding the car to my policy for a day so I'd be covered to drive it, is this what people usually do? What sort of cost would this incur? (admin fees etc on top of actual cost?). Also when selling privately, is it common to just drive someone round if they don't have insurance? If they claim to how to you prove it?

Any advice would be useful, especially when selling as I'm looking to sell my car privately next time to avoid losing out on some of the value...