ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance up 20% this year!

Inferno 182
Just got my renewal quote through from Admiral.
Last year, my premium was £495, this year, they want £600.
How can it be that my age, and NCB is going up and not reducing my premium? not exactly rewarding staying with them are they.
Crazy, quick look on Moneysupermarket got me a quote of £423 from Elephant, anyone else worth trying?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I've never had a renewal through that was cheaper. It's nothing new. They just hope you'll accept and pay. Go and do a quote with Admiral as a new customer and you will find it's probably about the same as Elephant.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I wish mine was £600 :(

My renewal with Bell on the clio, over a year ago now, was £3K lol, only paid £1200 ish for the previous year.

172 Cup
Complaining at £600 renewal, I'd give my left testicle if it was going to make it that cheap for me!

Insurance last year was £780 this year its £770, that's with 5 years NCB and 24 years old!

I've tried Admiral who won't insure me because of the car and all the usual lot. Can anyone suggest someone slightly more young man friendly?

Bux

Golf GTD
24 years old

I've tried Admiral who won't insure me because of the car?

I was with Admiral and I could have gone with them again but Elephant were slightly cheaper (same company so was easy swap), and im 19 with a 197. Don't see why they would refuse to insure a 24 year old...

225 Cup & Williams
I was with Admiral and I could have gone with them again but Elephant were slightly cheaper (same company so was easy swap), and im 19 with a 197. Don't see why they would refuse to insure a 24 year old...

Some companies wont insure 172 cup's i heard, I think it's because it's got nothing in the way of safety features apart from airbags.

Bux

Golf GTD
Some companies wont insure 172 cup's i heard, I think it's because it's got nothing in the way of safety features apart from airbags.

I guess that does make sense. But that would mean that if admiral refused him, then so would Elephant, Bell, and all the other companies that are a part of the Admiral Group would refuse him too.

172 Cup
Are you guys declaring mods though?

I'm insured with Brentacre at the minute with up to 210bhp as the limit.
Sky Insurance were coming no where near with theirs.

Inferno 182
Complaining at £600 renewal, I'd give my left testicle if it was going to make it that cheap for me!

Yes mate, but it is all relative. I am 35, and a 20% rise is just rude. I've never had to pay that much to insure a car, at any age. I can't believe that people are prepared to pay much more to drive around in a Clio tbh. It's a fun car but, seriously?

I phoned up Admiral, told them about the Elephant quote and they matched it there and then - same company! I'm happy with that but it proves the premiums they quote are way ahead of what they can afford to for it for, while still making a tidy profit.

Inferno 182
Are you guys declaring mods though?

I'm insured with Brentacre at the minute with up to 210bhp as the limit.
Sky Insurance were coming no where near with theirs.

If you don't declare your mods, it is only slightly less stupid than having no insurance at all. It invalidates your insurance, and means you won't be able to make any successful claims.
In fairness, having mods limits your choice of insurance but it is the only way.

Inferno 182
By the way, for those of you who do have to pay a real whack, it may be worth you looking into doing a Ride Drive days training.
With a full days training (presuming you can meet a certain standard) then you are eligible for a 20% discount with Adrian Flux. Cost is around £250
http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/performance-car-hps02pm.htm
So, not only do you get some driver training, the course could pay for itself in a few years because of the money you save.
Just thought some of you may be interested......

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yes mate, but it is all relative. I am 35, and a 20% rise is just rude. I've never had to pay that much to insure a car, at any age. I can't believe that people are prepared to pay much more to drive around in a Clio tbh. It's a fun car but, seriously?

I phoned up Admiral, told them about the Elephant quote and they matched it there and then - same company! I'm happy with that but it proves the premiums they quote are way ahead of what they can afford to for it for, while still making a tidy profit.
They have different policies mate, that's the way it works.

Tesco, Nig, virgin, privilege, Direct Line are all RBS stuff and are all different prices.

I stick with RBS insurers because their policies are genuine and the insurance company are very good as a whole. If people read their actual policy instead of the price they'll realise why it's cheaper than the other insurer. The saying you get what you pay for is suited to the insurance industry.

MR2 Mk1.5
By the way, for those of you who do have to pay a real whack, it may be worth you looking into doing a Ride Drive days training.
With a full days training (presuming you can meet a certain standard) then you are eligible for a 20% discount with Adrian Flux. Cost is around £250
http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/performance-car-hps02pm.htm
So, not only do you get some driver training, the course could pay for itself in a few years because of the money you save.
Just thought some of you may be interested......

get a quote and tell them you have passed and then one when you havent to test it.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye aye guys, I'm 18 and I've been looking to buy a 172 but the insurance quote I got was over 5K, which was the cheapest from Go Compare. I will be passed my test a year in march with 1 years NCB. Any ideas?

clio 182
my insurance went from 550 to 780 with another years no claims. Why? my cars value is dropping quicker than I can pay it off. I've got 5 years no claims and I'm 27.
I was asking my mate about his he's got an audi s3 valued at 22000 with less no claims same age in the same village and is paying 400 how does this work.
Plus I noticed a 200 difference when I put my exhaust on. I got a stainless steel so it would last and not need to buy another but its not been worth it.
I feel like running it into a tree to be honest
Insurance is a must for a driver so I think the companies are using this to make more money.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I was recently paying around £650 on my Clio with Admiral (multicar policy), but since i've modified my car recently, they would no longer insure the car. So yesterday I changed over to Adrian Flux, all mods declared, including coilovers, topmounts, spacers, stripped interior, steering wheel and they were even fine with the possibility of some engine mods shortly. The car is now insured for £1500 more in value and all modifications would be replaced on a like for like basis.

The best part, my insurance has only gone up to £700 :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Just got a quick. Quote from flux for a standard 172 and it was 5800! Is it possible for me to get one insured for less than 2K?

Audi TTS S Tronic
I'm currently 19 with 0ncb and been driving for 2 and a half years and am paying £1600 for my 207 1.6 THP 150.

I've been getting quotes as though I'm now 20 and been driving 3 years (which will be the case when I renew) and it's down to £1200 this year :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ours was £2500 last year, we made one claim and this year our renewal was £2300.

I'm certainly not complaining!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Ours was £2500 last year, we made one claim and this year our renewal was £2300.

I'm certainly not complaining!

Thats either a sarcastic reply or the price of your trade policy, i dont know which yet.

225 Cup & Williams
Just got a quick. Quote from flux for a standard 172 and it was 5800! Is it possible for me to get one insured for less than 2K?

No chance tbh mate. Putting your parents on the policy brings it down a bit but you will be very lucky to get insured for under 2k at your age.

LCR 225
mine with churchill has gone from £750 to £1100 :( an had no accidents???? an now the cheapest i can find is privilege for £834 an i'm 24 6 yrs ncb