ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance Inflation!

RS Clio 182
I'm sure a lot of you are experiencing this too but, having bought my 182 only a month ago I was fairly surprised my insurance was 'only' about £700. I was also pleased to hear my policy was up for renewal the following month and foolishly expected it to fall further when the renewal came through...WRONG!

Insurance has quite literally gone crazy. I have been driving for 5 years with no points, no claims (touch wood) etc. Admittedly, I only have one years no claims because I was formerly on my dads insurance but I do have named driver discount. I also have pass plus for good measure.

So how much do you think it could possibly go up!? well the best quote I could get from anywhere was £1300 and the next best was £1700 following by a number of quotes over £3000! The biggest problem is my wanting to pay monthly. My £1300 has now become £1500 just because of the credit charge!

This is ridiculous, anyone would think I was driving a bomb!

I am aware this is literally just a moaning post but I needed to vent. Im seriously contemplating getting rid of it already...:evil:

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
Insurance has gone crazy in the last couple of years. I've had my 182 for 5+ years, been driving for 8 and have full no claims, no points, good postcode etc and in the last couple of years I have had to shop about as they want to put the premium up.

Turning 25 didn't really make it much cheaper either...

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Yep its going up.

Oh, and just use a 0% credit card rather than paying monthly, i just got a virgin one with 12 month 0% and loaded my insurance onto that. Only a fool pays those ridiculous monthly payments.

MCS R56
Damn - that's rubbish! I was gutted that mine jumped £100 last time to £290.

No chance you can pay it up front?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
My youngest brother has just passed his test, he's 21 on 30th November, in an 'M' postcode...and the cheapest he was able to get insurance on his (W reg) Peugeot 206 1.1 was £2,700 the next cheapest was £7,500....he is now paying out £250 a month, just to drive a 1.1 litre 206! Takes the piss!

white 172
just insured my 2002 172 declaring coilovers and respray, im 20 1 years no claims bonus low risk postcode paint sprayer to trade and 3 points for speeding sp30
my own policy with mum and dad named drivers fully comp im paying £2680 per year on monthly instalments thats cheapest quote after a week of evenings spent looking

FTL

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
when i bought my 172 this time last year, i insured it with direct line. i was 24 with 0ncb as have always been a named driver since i passed at 17 (biggest mistake ive ever made!). i paid 960 quid. my renewal came thru last week at 1590!! bearing in mind i've now turned 25 and have a years ncb! insurance prices are rediculous!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
^ I'd be genuinely getting the bus. Mental.

I know mate...he is paying the same each month as the missus pays for her 1.2 Clio each year! When he first told me, I thought he was taking the piss...then realised he wasn't...

I was tempted to get him to insure it from my address (80 miles away) just for him to be able to drop it down by a few quid...but didn't want to in case of 'fronting'.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
but while they're pricing people off the road...theyre also pricing people into driving without insurance!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
what else can you do though...they are pricing people off the road. :(

I'n Donny's brothers case, not much. I don't really have the same sympathy from people driving around in a 2.0l hot hatch complaining about insurance prices. Eh, buy a smaller engined car that doesn't have the same risk associated with it.

white 172
im not moaning im still paying it cos i would rather the sport

i payed 1900 last year on my 20 year old 2.5 liter diesel land rover 90 off roader lol

MCS R56
It's shocking when you can't really get a smaller car to drive and have to pay thousands for the pleasure. But like Scott says, 19 year olds trying to insure hot hatches etc need to think again or pay out comical premiums which are simply a piss take.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
in not moaning about the price i pay, i thought 960 quid was acceptable last year...but for it to nearly double in price after gaining a years no claims bonus, wheres the fuckin bonus in payin more?? thats what im moaning about!

All these threads are starting to worry me now.
My old 172 cost me £1200 for this year.
My 200 when it arrives, I was quoted all around £900 per year mark.

Im hoping come March renewal time, I dont have the same problem, as that would be a major fail... Buy brand new car, cant afford to insure lol!

white 172
yeah cos when i bought the clio i got a quote of 1300 then two months later i tried a quote again and its 2680 now badtimes

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
the 172 has gone from group 16 to 31

This wont techincally make any difference as everything has doubled by insurance group.

Im quite happy with what i got for a quote, if its over 1000 next July the Clio's gone, an S3 is cheaper to insure and always has been... :eek:

RS Clio 182
ANy one want to buy a clio? I want to also echo that its not the fact that the insurance is high im moaning about (although it IS ridiculous) its the fact that its gone up 66%!

I hate these threads. Make me dread my insurance renewal in Jan even more.

Paid £600-700ish last time round, and by the looks of things I'm going to get royally stung too.

poosticks.

SG9 Forester STi
Hope I get as lucky as you Mike!

Currently paying £1500 for the conversion and it was difficult enough to get insurance on it as it is! I have my fingers crossed that come March I'll still be able to insure it!

Trophy #387
I'm 17 and I have a 1.2L 16v Clio... After phoning up several insurance companies getting quotes without even declaring the mods the cheapest quote i've managed to get is just over £3000 third party.

I got a quote from Hastings, who are supposedly good for young drivers, and he asked what my cheapest quote was and I said £3k and he said "Oh, an awful lot then .. I'm positive we'll be able to get you a cheaper quote than that".

So he entered all my details in and said "Right i'm glad to tell you we're able to offer you a cheaper quote, £2750 fully comprehensive" .. After speaking to him for another minute or so he then said "Oh sorry, i've just realised I put it down that you had a provisional license, so we're only able to quote you £4000"... I then asked what it'd be for third party cover, to which he replied "That is 3rd party, the computer has said it's not able to quote you fully comp on this vehicle"

Absolute scam tbh... There needs to be a huge investigation itno the increase in prices because it's just extortionate, un-necessary and down right bullshit.

Jap Box
I'm 17 and I have a 1.2L 16v Clio... After phoning up several insurance companies getting quotes without even declaring the mods the cheapest quote i've managed to get is just over £3000 third party.

I got a quote from Hastings, who are supposedly good for young drivers, and he asked what my cheapest quote was and I said £3k and he said "Oh, an awful lot then .. I'm positive we'll be able to get you a cheaper quote than that".

So he entered all my details in and said "Right i'm glad to tell you we're able to offer you a cheaper quote, £2750 fully comprehensive" .. After speaking to him for another minute or so he then said "Oh sorry, i've just realised I put it down that you had a provisional license, so we're only able to quote you £4000"... I then asked what it'd be for third party cover, to which he replied "That is 3rd party, the computer has said it's not able to quote you fully comp on this vehicle"

Absolute scam tbh... There needs to be a huge investigation itno the increase in prices because it's just extortionate, un-necessary and down right bulls**t.

Try giving aviva a ring, mines with them on a pass plus special and a few mats have it to. Need to get ther certificate within a month of the policy starting though. All my quotes for my 1.2 8v were £2700+ 3rd party, aviva quoted me £1800 fully comp.

Mine went through Brokerking, do it through them, aviva direct was more expensive somehow :S

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
We should have a system similar to australia where basic TPO insurance is included with the vehicles tax. Means every car on the road that is taxed can be driven by anybody with a licence.

Tax would go up, and old people would lose out but over a lifetime it should even itself out.

Clio 172 2003
if people stopped crashing to get money i think we would be ok, its all this 'where theres a blame theres a claim' buisness

Trophy #387
Its immigration, most of the people scamming are foreign, end of.

So true ..

It's the young drivers who get screwed over the worst though, I gather a lot of people on here are a lot older and therefore able to afford to drive faster cars (generally clio sports), but £400 a year isn't really much and an increase to something like £500 isn't particularly worth moaning about, although obviously that is stupid... A mate of mine drives a 1.4L mk3 06 plate Clio and his renewal quote is £6000, he paid under £3000 for his first year and that was with pass plus .. That's the kind of increase that is a joke.

We drive the slowest cars, we pay the highest amount and we crash the most .. WOOP WOOP

Black Gold Trophy
^Haha!

Thing is it really doesnt make sense when the insurance companies send you a renewal letter that says congratulations you now have another years no claims bonus, howeve we've decided to be utter c*nts and charge you an extra £300 this year.
They justify their increased prices with all the claims they've had to pay out. But surely the prices should only affect those who have made claims?

Trophy #387
Surrey! LAD :) Where abouts are you from Jack bro? I live right on the Surrey/Sussex border!

Yeh Jack it doesn't make any sense, it's like price fixing among hundreds and hundreds of insurance companies and it's beyond a joke! Apparently it's been a 50% increase in 17-21 year olds insurance this year... I don't know what the figures are for older drivers but I can't imagine it makes for good reading :(

If you ask insurance companies why your prices are going up they'll probably spout s**t about crime in your area or something.. It's all down to massive payouts for personal injury claims etc and they sometimes run into 6 or 7 figures which is just ridiculous, that's much more than they'll ever really have to payout for a vehicle.