ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner track arm

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Has anyone here changed one themselves?

I've heard mixed stories about doing it - some claim you need a special tool for it, others have claimed you need nothing more than a pair of mole grips.

Also, I see there are two different kinds of track rods with different lengths - is this the difference between the wider track of the 182 cup packed cars or is it just random?

Cup In bits
Loads have done them on here mate, its a serviceable item.

Depends how much you want to struggle tbh, anything from mole grips, stilson's, cut down spanner will suffice.

Renault has a special 32mm iirc spanner they they use but personally I prefer these \/ \/ \/ \/ but I can't remember what diameter the 1*2 tie rods are. This kit will cover you although individual ones can be had for cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4PC-STEER...nd_Tools_Equipment&hash=item51a7c29970&_uhb=1

Best chance for getting the right tie rods is calling Renault and finding out the part no. for genuine item and giving that number to your local motor factor if you want cheaper items.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I called Renault. They told me the computer gave them two options length wise.

Cup In bits
They probably asked wether you had an SMI or a TRW rack in which case you will have to get under the car to check. While your under there, take off the wheel, pull back the gator and give it a quick measure. Saves any bother.

Cup In bits
as swede says not a bad job to to easier if you got the right kit use to use stilsons before getting the snap-on tool do do them
bit like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Pur...t=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item56538f2571.

the thread has thread lock and are done up tight big ist problem is theres not much room to work with.
when you fit the new one if it dont come with tread lock already on the treads make sure you put some on.

Have you used one of that style tools mate as I'm away to buy the set I linked but that one you linked is cheaper, as long as it fits in place and gets a grip.

Cup In bits
Cheers I'll give that cheap one a go first, hopefully its alright and I don't have to buy twice.

Do you know the diameter of the Clio inner tie rod knuckle?

Last edited:
  BG182FF
Can anyone throw together a quick tutorial on how to do it? I've had the tie rods loose for when the tracking was done, Spotted a knock on one of the inner track rods after Oulton

Cup In bits
Slacken the track rod end that you had loose before, peel back inner boot onto steering rack and unscrew the tie rod from the rack. Easy as that but in practice really fiddly because of space.

I just bought one of these to make it easier, there are various different types of tools available including Renaults 32mm slim crows foot special tool, they all do the same job but the one I have went for is more universal.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=400339021196&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=88323145629

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21362919294.927547.jpg

I used this to do mine. As mentioned, access is the biggest issue but the job isn't complicated at all

Renault Clio RS182
Did mine the other day with some stilsons. As said above it's abit of a pain but i wouldn't bother spending £xx on a tool for a job that only takes an hour or so.

Cheers for the link, have just read on another thread about cup rods only being available from Renault only. Is that 172 cups only? If a 182 has both cup packs that includes the suspension as well doesn't it? will that mean its a renault only job or the above link fine?

Forester STi SG9
Not sure about the ph1 but ph2 Cup and non cup are all the same according to a Renault dealer.

I ended up just buying mine from Renault as I wasn't confident that websites such as ECP actually sell the right part, especially since the part for the SMI rack is listed on most sites at just £7! Didn't know about the QH ones though! Bugger!

I got mine from GSF for £11 each, they had 3 options though, two for an SMI rack and 1 for a TRW rack. I picked one of the SMI options and was lucky enough to guess the correct one. Also Cup and Trophy inner tie rods are dealer only IIRC.

Cup In bits
Read the linked thread, all is explained. Everyone said dealer only for Cup tie rods. Part nos and where to find them are in there, just buy any old crap for non cups/trophy.

Forester STi SG9
Wests list the same part number for cup and non-cup though, so why would cup be dealer only part and non-cup available everywhere else?

Forester STi SG9
Ok, so I have some inner tie rods here part number 7701473656 which I bought from Wests for my 182 which I said was non-cup. These are definitely the incorrect part and will not fit?

Cup In bits
Its only cup/cup pack suspension that need to be longer, people used to say it was dealer on for these but its been proven its not, I just fitted a set today on my 172 cup.

like above post they are usually listed for Kangoo van, they need to be 330mm from end to end for the cup.

Forester STi SG9
I'll be calling Renault tomorrow to check if I have the right part then but I suppose there could always be the possibility that they have incorrect data on their parts database. In which case I may as well ask, does anyone have a correct part number for the non-cup suspension tie rods?

Is it part number 7701472735 (taken from the micksgarage website).

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
Not sure about non cup but have a read of this and you should be able to work it out.

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?675576-possible-cheaper-inner-track-rod[/FONT]

Forester STi SG9
Thanks for your help swede, appreciated. It's probably because I am really tired but I still can't work out what part I need from reading that thread. lol At least the cup people know what to buy.

I'll call wests tomorrow, but I'm going to have a guess that the cup inners will fit my non-cup (but will just have more thread to play with) and I was sold the cup ones as they were on the shelf in stock at the time. If Wests are correct and the cup ones do fit non-cups then that's fine by me. If not, cheaper firstline or QH ones it is. If I'll ever figure out which one to buy! :D

Westfield, 182, 200
I have a non cup 182 and bought some lemforder rods from ECP, they were too short and lemforder said they don't make rods for the 182!

So, took them back and bought genuine from Adam at Renault Wolverhampton and bought a tool for fitting them for £55 as we have 3 clios in the household.

Forester STi SG9
Aren't the lemforder rods listed on ECP for the TRW racks anyway? The only part that fits the SMI rack on ECP I think is the cheapest one available, £7! Due to all the confusion I just went with genuine items, only to then find out they could be wrong. lol