ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Inner CV boot catching = bursting

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
JHi all.. just been down to my mate to get my drivers side driveshaft replaced for the 3rd time, so the 4th shaft the car has had in a year!!

Had a look to see why the inner boot keeps bursting and discovered the rubber must be catching part of the engine.

Now, it hasnt done this since new so its obviously some sort of problem!

Anyone got any ideas or the same problem?

Old shaft
20130326_182708_zps1633e60e.jpg

Replacent fitted
IMG-20130326-WA0019_zps22f9700f.jpg

20130326_181553_zpsf0dad2f7.jpg

Is it possible to chop this part of?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Do the engine mounts need refreshing?

First thing my other friend said, i dont know much about mechanics so ive no idea! Guessing the mounts could be worn and the engine has shifted back over time?

Hopefully Chip or the likes will come along and help me out :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Back again... just finished fitting the vibratechnic upper engine mounting but the shaft is still pretty much touching the engine.

Could it be the apex lowering springs mixed with 15" wheels?

Lionel Richie
its supposed to be "pretty much touching the engine" are these NEW shafts you're using or 2nd hand knackered ones?

Cro

Meg'd r27
I grinded that corner off, once my old clio was low enough it was nicking it all the time. No problems after taking a bit back and I remember Ben172 did the same

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I think ill probably have to do the same then! Its not actually doing anything else apart from bursting the boot haha

Lionel Richie
ask yourself this, why do the 5000 or so other 172/182's on the road not need the block grinding down............

£150 for a service exchange shaft from the dealer, 12months warranty - done

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
ask yourself this, why do the 5000 or so other 172/182's on the road not need the block grinding down............

£150 for a service exchange shaft from the dealer, 12months warranty - done

I already asked about this on here and was told that they dont offer this service?

Ill do this next time then!

CLIO Iceberg 172
did the same thing, thought it was stupid only having 5mm clearance. the boot rubber expands as it heats up and spins up so i chopped mine back too. never had problem again

Clio 172
Need to bring this feed back to life bought a new drive shaft from eurocar parts and its catching ive chopped the bit sticking out as much as possible an is still touching! Is there anything else to do? Dont fancy spending a fortune from renualt?

Renault Clio182 bean
Euro car parts driveshaft's are crap anyway, I had a bad experience with them on my saxo after fitting x2 'q-drive' drop links and offside driveshaft.
The boot on the shaft was split within 3 months and the rubber covers on the joints for the drop links had split as well.
Replaced with genuine and they were still fine the day I sold the car. The joints are often slightly bigger the aftermarket car parts which will cause the rubber to foul where it wouldn't with genuine parts.