ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Induction Project

RenaultSport clio Trophy
Over the w/e i bought a green open cone induction kit.

I removed the air box and all air feeds leaving a decent gap in the engine bay.

Fitted the open cone induction kit (v. easy), and put the car back together again.
No air feed tubing used at all.

Differences?.....Lots

Loss in power: None
Gain in power: Undetectable
Gain in engine noise: Perfect, awesome, how it should have been in the first place.

Heat soak: NONE felt, no flat spots , nothing
I might,however, buy/make a half moom heat shield.
Im simply relying on air moving up the gap.

We all agree, the car has not lost its punchiness when having a poke at the power band.

Anyone else got a open cone induction kit?

(This should foul up your heat soak theories :eek:)

Attachments

• DSC00016edit.jpg
    DSC00016edit.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00021edit.jpg
    DSC00021edit.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 41
  No more clio's for me!
Think it would work/breathe better with a dedicated air feed imo. Heat soak will be more noticable when stuck in traffic etc.

RenaultSport clio Trophy
Yeah, id like a forced air feed but that means taking off the bumper.
I dont want to lose my fog light, so that means puttin it in front of the radiator

But there is no moving air anyway when sitting in traffic, so i cant really see it making a difference.

182 Full Fat
Sitting in traffic with any car airbox or open filter will affect it initially. But cold air feed will help give the filter the cool dense air it needs. I didn't have to take bumper off. Just cut thin plastic underneath and fed feed through.

Just feel happier that its getting the cold air it needs to run properly

Last edited:
  RenaultSport clio Trophy
Hmm, didnt take the bumper off ay? i'll have to try harder.

Like the idea of enclosing the kit in a scrappy air box.

No more clio's for me!
TrophyDan said:
Yeah, id like a forced air feed but that means taking off the bumper.
I dont want to lose my fog light, so that means puttin it in front of the radiator

But there is no moving air anyway when sitting in traffic, so i cant really see it making a difference.

Its when you pull away...the instant air will be hot rather than cold. bah, who gives a fook anyway, not like we're preparing a cup racer. lol :)

RenaultSport clio Trophy
dannyboy172 said:
Its when you pull away...the instant air will be hot rather than cold. bah, who gives a fook anyway, not like we're preparing a cup racer. lol :)

And that will give you a 0.0000000001m/s advantage?
;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've made a round alloy airbox , inside is a universal k+n air filter . Its similar to the hillpower airbox but cost me fcuk all to make . Its not finished yet( busy with work )but when it is i'll get some pics up . It uses both original air feeds , and the surface area of the k+n is slightly more than the oe panel filter . I need to make some end caps yet and fit them .

I took some temperature readings at the weekend . At idle inside the airbox was 60 degrees C, in traffic around 20 mph - 30mph it was around 43 degrees C , at 70 - 80 mph its was around 36 degrees C , at 100mph it dropped to 34 degrees C .

The temp in the cold air feed , the one with the acoustic valve was a constant 32 degrees with the outside temp being 22 degrees .

Theres definitely no loss in power , if anything i think it pulls harder and makes a nice induction roar . The cars not loose as its only done 4000 miles .

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I cant understand why someone hasnt made a new bottom section for the stock airbox.

Itg panel and a glass fibre bottom with one giant feed should do it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i thought i hadn't lost any power with my open filter, infact i thought i had gained power untill i put the standard airbox back on to see if i got any better MPG and put my foot down, had much more torque when pulling away, when i was pulling away in the dry as i would normally it was wheelspinning which it didnt do with the IK on

Clio 172 mk2
Tom said:
I cant understand why someone hasnt made a new bottom section for the stock airbox.

Itg panel and a glass fibre bottom with one giant feed should do it.

Yeah...that sounds like a good idea.

Friend of mine did it on his Capri....cut holes in the bottom section and secured ducting in with fibreglass which were routed to the front of the car:D

RenaultSport clio Trophy
Martin_89 said:
i thought i hadn't lost any power with my open filter, infact i thought i had gained power untill i put the standard airbox back on to see if i got any better MPG and put my foot down, had much more torque when pulling away, when i was pulling away in the dry as i would normally it was wheelspinning which it didnt do with the IK on

Its been throughly tested, believe me :evil:
No powerloss, honest.

I do, however, like the idea of buying a s/h airbox and putting the cone in that.
I might try this, see wot happens

Cup Turbo, Flamer
how did you get the rest of the cold air feed out, i cant seem to remove mine, its really annoying!!!