ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Improve MK1 172 handling for 11 quid!

As the topic says, Ive made an noticable improvement to the handling of my standard mk1 172 for just 11 pounds.

I bought a pair of 3mm spacers for the front wheels and hey presto! Much less nervous handling round quick corners, and it also seems to turn in a bit better too. Got the spacers from Half*rds and fitted them yesterday and would recommend it to anyone who wants slightly less twitchy handling from their MK1. Amazing the difference 6mm to the front track makes.

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 30 July 2003

the cup has a wider track
Thats exactly what made me think of doing it! Its definitely helped. Best way to test it is to get a passenger in your mk1 172. Drive them round a corner fast. Fit 3mm spacers. Drive same passenger round same corner. Ask them if it felt safer!

No, it doesnt understeer as much. In fact, Im still to get it to understeer with the spacers on at all. Ill go out when the roads dry up and see what it can do.

Yes, only on the front. Not sure whether doing the back would make a difference or not. I didnt use longer bolts as there seems to be plenty of thread left when the spacers are on.

For 11 quid I cant really find fault with it!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

i put cup wheels on my icle 1.2 and that felt safer added a few mm to the track

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I think Ill give it a go...now to find some cheap spacers...last time I looked I could get some aluminium ones for 100 quid

Yup.

Had spacers on my 19 when I got it.. Its dody fitting universal spacers, as the wheels are no longer mating with the hub, its the bolts that are taking all the load. V V dodge. Would take them off if I were you Rhys. Or at least get wheel/hub specific spacers.

Ben

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

would wheels with a larger offset than normal also screw the suspension and put strain on the bolts?

Hi,

I have a 172 mk2, i do want to change the wheels coz i dont like the standard ones... If i bought them from speedline can i ask for the same offset as the Cup? Is there any drawback on doing this?

:confused: The wheels do mate with the hub, just with a spacer in between. Cant see how its any different to having wheels with a different offset.

I was refering to these 11 quid spacers btw where you have less thread on the lug nuts which isnt clever at all as bits not designed for load are having to deal with it. H&R do proper ones i think, as ben_ren19.16v says, will be hub specific.

Id expect yours are universal Rhys being as cheap as they are, what are they made from? Anyway, id take them off mate, soon as.

-Rob

Rob did you know that one version of the 911 turbo (993 model) had spacers on the rear of the car to help the handling.

I had 20mm spacer on my old 405 so I could use my old ford alloys. Had them on for 50,000 miles. Had no problems at all. The wheel bearings were fine.

Any URL for H&R?

Im going to leave the current ones on for the time being, reservations from various people duly noted. Ill try and get "hub specific" ones asap, but now Ive had a chance to play with the car a bit, the improvement in handling is drastic and Im not going back to the understeeryness ever again. Id rather the wheels drop off!!!

Cheers for the comments. Any more info on where to find specific spacers would be appreciated.

Ta,

Rhys