ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Imobiliser will not disengage

Clio 172 Cup 2002
A few months ago I bought a 2002 Clio 172 Cup with a seized alternator. It took me couple of months to gt round to changing it and for all that time I had the battery disconnected. I have now changed the alternator and re-connected the battery. The keys (I have 2) both lock and unlock the doors BUT the imobiliser will NOT disengage. The red imobiliser light stays on in the 'warning light panel' in the center of the dash when the engine is turned over.
I am assuming that the keys have lost code synchronisation with the ECU but any ideas would be helpfull

dan's cast offs.
Make sure battery is fully charged, unlock car, turn ignition on , leave for 30 seconds or so,ignition off and lock the car. Try it again, that generally sorts it.

If not can be a fun one to sort out.

Also check battery voltage standing and on cranking.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Thats not an immoboliser problem its electircal. Immobliser flashes rapidly.

Make sure youve connected the alternator up properly. Check the spade connection isnt corroded. Other than this check the earths on the car (one from gearbox to chasis is a common failure.)

As above also check the battery voltage, mines s***s itself when the battery drains.

Clio 172 Cup 2002
Thanks guys - on the positive side the leave it in the ignition for 30 secs lock and unlock worked to re-synchronize the keys with the immobilizer.
On the negative side the engine turns nice and swiftly but no hint of firing. I can't smell unburned fuel in the exhaust so I am wondering if the fuel pump is not kicking in - the only place I am hearing 'whirring and clicking' is behind the glove box - which would be a very unusual place for a fuel pump!! :)

Clio 172 Cup 2002
I assume the pump is in the tank - if so I am NOT hearing that, the only 'whirring' (and clicking) is coming form behind the glovebox which would be a VERY strange place for a fuel pump!
I am struggling somewhat because I have not heard the car prime/run (though it ran just before I bought it when the seller fired it up..... and was rapidly enveloped by smoke as the auxiliary belt toasted its-self because the alternator had seized) :)

dan's cast offs.
you won't really hear it, need to lift the back seat base and pop the black cover off.

Clio 172 Cup 2002
Car has interior stripped so 'black cover' is reasonable accessible through the rear hatch (front seats are fixed buckets) will check for voltage at the pump