ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Immobiliser Woes.....

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Got a Ph2 172, never had a problem with starting etc until last weekend.

Got in it after it being sat in my lockup as usual for a week, put key in, turned it - nothing. Red immobiliser light flashing - so presumeably immobiliser isnt turning off.

So far I've changed the transponder ring & the battery in the fob but to no avail.

Havent checked fuses yet thats my next port of call.

Anything else relatively simple to check, I presume that if its not fuses that its gonna be a goosed key?

Is there anywhere in the North West that will come out & not charge an arm and leg to re-code my key?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

Evo 8 MR
Replace both ignition relays with NEW Renault only items under the bonnet right hand side under plastic cover.

Theres two black ones next to each other in a cup.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Changed them - no difference mate.

Checked fuses - all fine. Charged battery up fully & its not that either.

What does the immobiliser actually immobilise?

Reason I ask is that the engine doesnt actually turn over either - I thought it just immobilsed the fuel / spark?

Thinking of just getting a second hand ECU & key - also what does the consumer unit do as they always seem to be included in the sale of an ECU & key?

Cheers

Lee

Evo 8 MR
All you should hear is the starter motor turning for a few seconds before it stops of it's own accord.

It will still crank even if the immob is active...

It immobilises the injectors/coilpack if its active - the UCH is what runs the immobiliser and stores the code, if the correct key is present the UCH just sends a signal to a pin on the ECU to let it know everything is 'ok to start' so to speak - if not, no signal is sent and the car remains immobilised...

If its not even cranking have you checked the battery and starter solenoid wire (white)?

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Right, understood. I did think that it should of been turning over. Going to check that wire tonight, have to remove the damn heatshield wont I? Battery is fine - full charged as I did it the other night.

So in theory you dont actually need a new ECU - just the consumer unit & key or is the signal to the ECU from the consumer unit coded also?

Cheers for your help guys.

Oh a ph1 its an 'ok' signal, but ph2 might be coded.

Easier to access the solenoid wire from underneath the engine with your hand/arm up the back I think it is on mine anyway!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Right, well tonight I have proved that its definitely the immobiliser at fault - more than likely the key to be honest.

I've got my mates 182 in at the moment with running issues so I did a little test - removed his circuit board out of his key and tried to start it - it did exactly the same as what mine is doing - red light flashing, engine doesnt turn over, fuel pumps dont prime.

Time to get hunting for a new key/ECU set then!!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
2nd hand ECU and consumer unit fitted tonight.

Transferred my key end into the new keb fob & it fired up straight away!

Job sorted.

Thanks to Josh @ Cliospares for supplying me with the bits I needed.

Clio on SL 2118s
This happened with my ph2. Took it to the garage and the mechanic started it up every morning and it was fine.
Soon realised it was the key and the spare key works fine.
No problems since - touch wood.

Edit: Not reading all posts ftl. Glad you got it sorted buddy.

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Yeh, it probably was the key mate but it was either £120 for 1 new key re-coded.....or £150 for an ECU, consumer unit & 2 key fobs, unfortunately I didnt have a spare key when I got the car!!

So I can sell my old ECU and get some money back at some point.

Golf GTD Mk7
almost sounds the same as my fault that Lee. Put it on clip today and no faults shown :S It's wierd. I'm going to try the decoding ring, but i'm not optomistic tbh :(