ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

immobiliser problems with explation video!

Monaco 172
a video tells a million words.

Immob ring has been changed twice and still doing this. anyone any further ideas, i think the next step is a bloody expensive key!

sound is useful!

th_20042009020.jpg

it might have started next time round, it might have taken another 30 goes...

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
stop + immobil light never goes out. immobiliser. hummm..mine did the same but after a few "locks" "unlocks" it was fine.

But i think theres some funky trick like holding the key button down for some time or somthing..

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Thats weird, first time it flashed continuesly(sp)
then it did normal, as that how mine is, but i leave the lights to go off :)

Monaco 172
if i leave the lights to go off and the red immob light stays on it wont even turn over.

and yea it does stop turning over by itself...

thanks

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
if i leave the lights to go off and the red immob light stays on it wont even turn over.

and yea it does stop turning over by itself...

thanks

:S thats how i start mine. leave all light to go off, battery and imob light still on clutch pedal in and it starts every time.. i only though i had to leave the lights to go off as it has coil plugs, (same sign on diesel cars)

Monaco 172
car battery is only a year old if that, but everything else is going fine and if it was battery i wouldnt imagine it would ever start, which it does sometimes!

keep the ideas coming! im gonna clean TDC sensor tomorrow as it appears to be a ballache at times

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If it stops turning over by itself then i wouldnt think its the TDC sensor, when mine was dodgy it would turn over forever but just not start.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for an hour or so and re-connecting, making sure all the connections are good? i.e wd40 on all terminals etc? Could be a bad connection and the car turning over shakes it loose etc?

Monaco 172
i guess thats possible. i guess no harm in cleaning it anyway.

as for all the connections, ive no idea where to start to be honest. also havent tried taking the battery off.

what would be a connection that could come loose, also the fact that its intermittant and the clip computer did log the fault as the immob i find strange, unless its one of those things. ive no idea.

mine did similar to this at weekend wouldnt start at all, its a fuse in the engine bay fuse box, 30amp. if you stand in front of the car with fuse box open, its the top left 30 amp fuse. try changing it then leave battery disconnected for 30 mins then try start it.

Last edited:
immobiliser light was on all the time and wouldn't turn over at all, fuel pump wouldn't prime or anything, was basiclly dead lol

Monaco 172
damn, ill have a look anyway but mine starts maybe after an hour or so of trying.

looks like

1) loose connection somewhere
2) dodgey key(s)
3) or unknown yet

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Also TDC sensor wouldn't force it to stop turning over? Have you tried disconnecting battery for 30 mins etc? Fuse also sounds like a good idea to check.

Monaco 172
i havent tried the battery yet, everything apart from that and fuse at the minute. which ill try when i get home and hopefully get it on the computer.

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
hi , check the relays (the small black ones) in the engine bay fuse box , behind the passenger headlamp , look for signs of water ingress , if so replace the relays and make sure the cover is fitted correctly.
hope this helps

Monaco 172
yea im gonna go home and try every fecking thing people have said here.

do you think this is the problem and the fact the immobilisor is coming up on the clip computer isnt the cause of this problem?

also if it is a relay, what would it have had the effect on to cause this problem?

Last edited:
  99 V Reg Clio
hi pete.

im having a similar problem. i cant get the car started. i turn it over and it just wont start. the imobiliser light goes off but it dont start. then sometimes it will start on second attempt but sometimes wont start after bout 30 mins of trying. i disconnect everythin then reconnect it sometimes tht works but most of the time not.

so if u find a solution pleas let me kno

sophiesdad

ClioSport Club Member
  anything i get
if the relay has a bad connection if can give a low voltage output , which sonds to me like your system , so hopefully the relay will be the cause , als worth checking your earth straps are nice clean and secure.

Monaco 172
cheers andy, ill have a look under the bonnet soon. would that have an effect on the immob light flashing too etc?

and can you tell me where the earths or at least the problematic ones would be?

cheers

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Pete try this...

Earth the Battery :) use the black jump lead connect it to the earth point on the battery and the other end to the Starter motor ..

iirc that should solve this problem :)

Monaco 172
i pushed all the relays in and all that, didnt really wanna start pulling things out etc. still dunno where any earths are bar the battery one.

disconnected the batter for a while i cleaned the TDC.

all back together and it started 2nd time, so far its been fine, but it could be coincidence tha it started like usual then die later on again.

Monaco 172
it was indeed coincidence! dead again!

back to flashy lights and turn over but no starting as per video!

iceberg 172
mine was doing this. put it on the dianostic machine and cleared all recorder faults and since it has been fine. i have to wait for the light to go off first though or it doesnt start

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I would say 2 faulty keys, clip logged decoder ring fault let me guess, it does this if the key signal is playing yp, im going with faulty keys. or the little black relays, dont be scared of pulling them out they wont do any harm. and one of them is the injection computer locking relay

Monaco 172
yea there will be a key ordered tomorrow id think, expensive but ive tried everything thats free and able to be done cheap like a different decoder ring etc! and clip logged same fault which the reno guy said is more likely to be 2 duff keys than 2 duff rings