ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac progress bar on startup

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I've had the Mac around 2.5 years and it's never had an issue, however the other day it started showing a progress bar on startup which takes around 15 minutes to complete. It does this every single time which is driving me mad, yet once it's completed it works absolutely fine.

Any ideas?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I've just tried that and it says that it cannot be repaired -.-

Is it going to be a system restore job? I really can't afford to do that as I'll lose my programs and files.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Open disk utility from the restore DVD/Partion (depending on your OS X version).

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Try Disk Utility

1. Start from the Recovery System or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion or Mountain Lion).
    If your computer shipped with a Mac OS X Install disc, insert the installation disc, and restart the computer while holding the C key.
  2. If using a Recovery partition or Internet Recovery (OS X Lion and later): When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window.
    If using an installation disc: Choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.
    [FONT=sukhumvit_setbold]Important[/FONT]: If you started from an installation disc, do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must start from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
  5. Select your OS X volume.
  6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
[FONT=sukhumvit_setbold]Tip[/FONT]: With Mac OS X v10.6 and earlier, always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.

DO NOT reinstall OS X

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I spoke to Apple support via chat and they told me to do the Erase Disk thing and had to reinstall OS X afterwards.

I was up most of the night getting me files and programs back on there.