ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iMac fusion or extra ram?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Toying with getting a 21 iMac as the puter is old.

Can get ed disc etc so should I upgrade to 16gb ram or spec the fusion memory?

Ideas?

Depending on what it was for I would say Fusion, the difference in speed between 8GB and 16GB RAM will be fairly unnoticeable, the difference between booting the OS and your most used apps from the SSD side of the hard drive compared to a normal hard drive will be a huge difference

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Just get used for the usual browsing, shopping & daughters homework :S

So nothing using serious.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I assume you know you cant upgrade to the Fusion drive on the base 21" iMac. You've gotta opt for the better one?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
So fusion is worth the extra £170 & more worth while than an extra 8gb of ram?

Sticking with the 21 as don't need 27.

Had 27 screen at work & always felt I could not get far enough away?

Fiesta ST3
you cant replace the ram on the 2012 21'5 imacs (well not easily anyway)
to me the fusion would have been nice option on the base but simply not worth the upgrade to the 2.9 then the extra for the fusion on top!
base with 16gb = £1,258.99
2.9 with 8gb + fusion = £1,449.00
i couldnt justify the difference the fusion would give me so i went for base spec with 16gb and a super drive ;)

Bus w**ker
People actually pay Apple to upgrade the RAM on iMacs?! Mental.

(This is no longer completely applicable to those that buy the 2012 iMac Nano)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
People actually pay Apple to upgrade the RAM on iMacs?! Mental.

(This is no longer completely applicable to those that buy the 2012 iMac Nano)

So your saying the latest iMac is just the same as previous model ( chunky version) remove panel under monitor & add ram.

My understanding is the glass has to come out now?

Hence this thread :S

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
At this point you must be better off getting a older generation refurb imac.

Max out the ram, stick an SSD in it.

This first gen "thin" imac doesn't bring much to the table over the outgoing model.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Cheers Ady thought so ;)

Spec at order then!

3 out of 10 (10 easy) for upgrading ram, with all the proper tools means, no thanks!

Fiesta ST3
Cheers Ady thought so ;)

Spec at order then!

3 out of 10 (10 easy) for upgrading ram, with all the proper tools means, no thanks!
my thoughts exactly :S
i wanted the fusion but by the time i specced it with a super drive it was something like £1660! i could have got two refurb 21" macs for that much money so i went back to base and treated myself to the extra ram just to future proof it incase i get back into photo editing again..
to me the fusion would be a nice touch but not at that cost it might boot faster and some programs might be able to utilize it, but for me going from a 6 year old dell with 2gb ram and a athaolon x2 processor the new mac will be like its on speed anyway ;)
you pays your money and you make your choice the only saving grace is thats its 10 months interest free so if you do go for the fusion it wont hurt the wallet as much in one go:D

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This first gen "thin" imac doesn't bring much to the table over the outgoing model.

Saw the new thin imac today for the first time, I think I prefer the old one I have now.

I was under the impression it was thin throughout, but it isn't, it's quite bulky towards the centre.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Are the last gen iMacs still available?

I'm guessing refurb or 2nd hand?