ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Idling Problems/Loss Of Power (What little I had!!)

172 rep
Noticed the last couple of weeks that every now and again my car just randomly loses power, I can have my foot to the floor and it just don't "go", and then all of a sudden it will just surge off.

It feels as though the car is braking, if that makes sense.

Can't be the brakes though, just had the disks and pads changed and the back cleaned etc. And this was happening before they were done.

Also, when idling, sometimes the car sort of splutters, sort of jumps up and down between 500rpm-1000rpm, as though it's gonna cut out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

172 CUP
When it loses power does the engine sound a bit ... rough?

Sounds like what my old motor felt like when it was running on 3 cylinders intermitently.

Could be spark plugs/ht leads/coil packs

Mk2 Phase 2 Clio 1.6 16v
I've not had much experience with renaults, but from past experiences, problems with revs at idle are almost always curable by new ignition coils and a new mass air flow sensor. Ohh and obviously stick some new spark plugs in too!

172 rep
The car has just had a full service, so sparks etc are all new, so it's gonna be something they don't do in a service. Will have to get coil pack etc checked.

Just out of interest, where is the mass air flow sensor?

Clio 172 cup
girlfriend had exactly the same problem with her billabong- ended up it was the tdc sensor needed replacing. It's been fine ever since

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
it sits on top of the gearbox, under the water pump, its on a short horizontal bracket and the sensor is at a 90 degree angle.

172 rep
Still not sorted this out, ive had it in renault on the computa but nothing is showing up, they seem to think its the throttle body but arent 100% sure

Renault Clio MK2,Ph2
Still not sorted this out, ive had it in renault on the computa but nothing is showing up, they seem to think its the throttle body but arent 100% sure
Okay cheers, I've been digging around a lot on the web and some of them said that it might need cleaning out or something like that because it can get filled with "gunk" but usually a new one isn't needed. Did anything come up with the TDC sensor?

172 rep
Finally got this problem sorted, it was the two lambda (sp?) sensors had gone, along with all the wiring that goes to them.

How Renualt didn't pick this up when it went for diagnostics, I have no idea!

All sorted now though!

Renault Clio MK2,Ph2
Good to hear that its all sorted! I had to go on a long drive down to cornwall (500 miles round trip) and it seems to have fixed itself for the time being! How much were the lambda sensors to replace?