ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I need an OS - cheap

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, whats the cheapest way for me to get a copy of Windows, either 7 or 8 not too fussed.

Bought a new PC earlier, its coming tomorrow and it doesn't have an OS. PC World want £129, just wondering if I can pick up an OEM version from somewhere cheaper?

Thanks

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
FYI OEM is for system builder only who will be selling the system on as a whole and maintaining it, not for home users.

Titanium 182
I'm guessing you haven't really used torrents before? It's not as dodgy as you think. Just a bit of common sense on which torrent you choose e.g lots of seeders and verified/VIP status of person posting the torrent

Last edited by a moderator:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
FYI OEM is for system builder only who will be selling the system on as a whole and maintaining it, not for home users.

Whats that mean?

The sticker on my PC says Vista with a product key? Im guessing I can obtain a vista torrent, put it on a USB, load it onto my new PC with the code on my old tower, then upgrade to 8 via the £50 option?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Whats that mean?

The sticker on my PC says Vista with a product key? Im guessing I can obtain a vista torrent, put it on a USB, load it onto my new PC with the code on my old tower, then upgrade to 8 via the £50 option?

No not legally. Although very possible to do and have working 100%, the license will not be valid/legal. OEM license are only able to be used once for 1 base hardware configuration. I'm not sure if you want it to be legal or not, i'm just pointing it out for other people who come along your thread and do wan tot be legal :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Thanks for everyones help, I just thought stuff it, the amount of times Ive had a dodgy OS, and not had the disc when I needed it etc, so Ive just bought that OEM copy from Amazon.

There was a comment earlier regarding this not been for home users? what does this mean? if ive bought the wrong one, I can send it back, but I needed it for tomorrow and only had 7 minutes for the deadling lol

Thanks guys

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
What does this mean exactly?

Thanks for the replies and PM's

OEM is for people/businesses that build computers and then act as the first line of support for that computer. A example would be HP. I sell computers with OEM licenses to other people and then I am the first line of support for them if they need it. The responsibility of support moves from Microsoft to the system builder. Because of the wording in the EULA, it also means the licenses are invalid if install for private use.

OEM is for people/businesses that build computers and then act as the first line of support for that computer. A example would be HP. I sell computers with OEM licenses to other people and then I am the first line of support for them if they need it. The responsibility of support moves from Microsoft to the system builder. Because of the wording in the EULA, it also means the licenses are invalid if install for private use.

Too right, I'm sure If he has any issues though he can post on here as plenty of us are Microsoft Certified etc!

If you were building your own PC you'd by an OEM copy of windows. Essentially the same but without the fancy packaging and once installed is locked to that PC and can't be used on any others iirc.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
If you were building your own PC you'd by an OEM copy of windows. Essentially the same but without the fancy packaging and once installed is locked to that PC and can't be used on any others iirc.

Thats what IVe done.. Kinda lol

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

no that's incorrect. OEM is only for new computers built for sale.

Microsoft said:
[OEM licenses] must be preinstalled on a PC and sold to another unrelated party.

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
so you missed the word 'unrelated' then? lol. Don't worry, you will be fine. You can just say your still setting it up for sale :) They would never know anyway unless you called them up for support. Technically though its not legal :)

Fatty is right. If you've bought OEM looking to be legit you've wasted your money. If its just to run an unlicensed version then that will work.