ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I have been Slighty stupid

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have taken the day off work today to fit new pads and front discs, and braided lines.

I have just relaised after taking all of the lines off and refitting the braided gear that i have no means to bleed the brakes, and as the car is sat on the stands, no means to get to a local halfraunds to get the brake bleed kit, which i must admit i used to have but have lost since moving.

How can i overcome this issue, will i still be able to drive there and back without any problems.

I have been told by the local chimp who lives opposit to unscrew the brake resivor cap and pump the brakes so any air that maybe trapped in the lines will be forced out is this right or should I have the chimp put down:S

It will probably spurt out the top, all over your paintwork - which would be not that good...

I'd be tempted to just refit and drive down there carefully lol

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Yeah thats exactly what I thought, but I dont fancy driving over to Braindead for Witham. Have you looked out the window at the weather.

Looks like i may have to wait till the other half gets back and nab the moped LOL

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Easy to fix. Find a piece of wood that's just long enough to keep the brake pedal pressed down when wedged against the drivers seat. Bleed the brakes using this system, it will be a bit time consuming but it is possible: open the bleed screw/press down the brake pedal slowly to the floor/hold it down with the piece of wood/go back to brake and shut the bleed screw/release the wood to let the pedal up slowly/repeat 3 or 4 times.

Rob669

clio 182 black /gold
Get an empty bottle and put yourr old hoses over the valve and put some fluid in the bottle and try it that way.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Right Not sure i fancy trying any of those ideas, for one i dont want to f**k up the Recaros with shoving a piece of wood on them, and the idea of pumping the brake while the valve is open just sounds like I will have brake fluid all over the place.

(Taps feet while he waits for other half to gets home)

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
r u a billie no mates

care to explain what that means.

Most of my mates actually work modnay to friday, and to call them while there at work and expect them to drop everything and give me a hand would be taking the pi$$.

Once again the CS Muppets come out with pointless posts.

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
But you have already taken a lump out of your seat have you not when moving? So another one wont hurt......;)

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
At this presnt moment i have 2 empty cans which i have tie wraped to the caliper, and will have to try pumping the brake.

Really dont want brake fluid going everywhere, I have already had the old couple in the flats opposit us telling me that i better clear the mess up after I have done.

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
But you have already taken a lump out of your seat have you not when moving? So another one wont hurt......;)

Ah I am getting that sorted, guy that comes round and washes the boss's car also does interior repairs and says that the back of the seat should be pi$$ easy to repair, once i have that done no fu**er is sitting in the back and I will make dam sure if i have to take anything large that the seats have been well protected.:rasp:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Either get yourself an eezibleed kit .Your local Halfords should sell them .

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=GUNG4062

Or undo the brake fluid reservoir cap . Get some tubing , preferably clear ,put the tube over the bleed nipple , the other end of the tube goes into a jar with some brake fluid already in making sure the end is in the fluid so it won't suck any air back .

Crack open the bleed nipple slightly , just enough for some fluid to start running out , pump the brake pedal a couple of times , check the level in the brake fluid res and keep it topped up .Do this a few times and you should have bled the old fluid out and replaced it with the new fluid .

Ideally it would be better to have somebody to watch the fluid to check its running smooth with no bubbles , but you can still do it on your own . Tighten the bleed nipple back up and thats it . Just make sure you don't over tighten the nipple as they can snap very easily .

After you've done all 4 , check the level and put the cap back on the brake fluid res .

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
any chance you can get some pics of the braided lines while youve got the wheels off? im lookin to do mine soon...

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
if you have only fitted braided hoses then if you changed them quick you wont have bled the brake circuit dry. If so open the nipple and let it run/drip out on its own until no air bubbles are visible. If you have only got to get the air out of the braided hose and the caliper this will work.

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
cheers guys for the info finally done it and the pedel feel is totally different.

took it for a little drive down the road a the car felt so much better under braking. this may be partly down to the fact that the discs which have just been replaced had arounf 1.5mm left and the pads were shot(glazed all over the pad face)

looking forward to trying them for real once they are broken in.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
There's just no point trying to help some people! You could easily have protected your car seat by using something like an old towel for example.

Rob669.

I have just relaised after taking all of the lines off and refitting the braided gear that i have no means to bleed the brakes, and as the car is sat on the stands, no means to get to a local halfraunds to get the brake bleed kit, which i must admit i used to have but have lost since moving.

Doh.gif

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
LOL Thats exaclty what the other half said when she got back DOH!!!!!!

Never mind its all sorted, next time I will make dam sure I have all the tools by my side.

Cheers for the info guys

Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
Well yes it did but thats partly because I was a bit stupid and didnt have the right tools to hand.

TBH it only took me 30mins to take the old hose's off and fit the new ones, once they were on and I had sorted the new pads and discs, a bled the brake lines which should of taken me 2 hours. In the end I finished at about 7ish last night after I started at 2ish. Most of the time was taken trying to find a way of bleeding the brakes on my own without the correct tools.

WORD OF ADVICE MAKE SURE IF YOUR GOING TO DO IT YOURSELF, (Which is quite easy) GET THE RIGHT TOOLS. LOL