ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

i dont understand this......

1.5 Clio Dynamique
why did renault make the front wings out of plastic yet make the bonnet out of steel, Why not just make it all out of steel!!!

You hit something with your front end, the steel wings push back and you can't open your doors - that's why they're plastic.

You hit something with your front end, the steel wings push back and you can't open your doors - that's why they're plastic.

Exactly, it's a safety thing aswell as a cost thing. Some people seem to just complain for the sake of it.

It's A Reno
Kinder to pedestrians too I imagine, which is something they have to think about.

1.5 Clio Dynamique
Kinder to pedestrians too I imagine, which is something they have to think about.

how??

if i hit a pedestrian (touch wood that i dont) then in theory they would hit the steel bonnet first and the wings wouldnt come into it

It's A Reno
Pedestrians don't always cooperate and fly onto the bonnet though do they.
Glancing blows mate, glancing blows..

It's A Reno
Only on some ph-quicks, but IIRC no rhyme or reason to it as far as what numbers got them, just random cars.

LY R26
front wings are plastic for pedestrian safety.
its alot softer than a steel wing to be hit into.
most people who get run over are hit on the wing, not the bonnet hence the reason for plastic wings.

106 GTI
They made them in plastic so there would be internet threads like this asking why they done it

Because of the fact it'd probably look a state after a few years, with all the heat from the engine!

Mk1s have aluminium bonnet and plastic wings btw :p

ValverInBits
you'd be hard pushed to make the bonnet out of plastic and get a good NCAP score.
The steel will absorb quite a lot of energy as it bends and buckles. If you got a composite (probably fibre reinforced) it would give a pretty brittle snap on impact (except CF which if pinned right will shatter and absorb impact).
Plastic wings are awesome! Bolt on bolt off, and light, what more can you ask for!

Last edited: