ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Humming sound from rear wheel

RFB

BG 182 FF
Over the past few weeks my MK3 Clio has developed a humming/vibrating sound from one of the rear wheels. The problem only seems to occur on right hand bends. My first feeling is that it is a wheel bearing problem? Anyone had this problem before or similar and know what the cause is?

Cheers

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Sounds defo like a wheel bearing. Will be noisier going round bends as more pressure/weight will be on it. I've had these go on me a few times in 172's.
You'll probs be better off buying the entire discs with bearings already pressed in but I may be wrong.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Definitely sounds like a wheel bearing for sure! If it's on right hand bends I would suggest it was the rear left wheel bearing that is failed. Jack it up and spin the wheel, you should hear it grinding away and spinning freely generally.

RFB

BG 182 FF
I assumed it would be that wheel that was causing the problems. Cheers guys I shall take a look tomorrow.

RFB

BG 182 FF
Went to the garage today and asked them to take a look. However they claim it isn't the wheel bearings... So not really sure what's causing the noises now?

Arctic Blue FF 182
If you are able to, I would get a second opinion tbh, as that is text book wheel bearing symptoms. Car standard height, original wheels?
If it helps at all, a lot of people think that if a wheel bearing has gone then they will feel play in the wheel when they try and move it with the wheel off the ground. This isn't always the case.

RFB

BG 182 FF
Standard height and wheels yes, just read online other cause may be loose exhaust clamp?

Mine too has just started to do the same - how long will it last before it needs replacing and is it dangerous to keep using until replaced?

Cheers

53 Clio's & counting
Outside chance its a tyre - iv had it on 2 Clios before, the inside of the rear tyres wear like a 50p piece and gives the same noise as a worn bearing

Just been to good old Kwikfit - they did road test as well as up on ramp for free wheeling check and confirmed it was the rear o/s wheel bearing - stock item and fitted within the hour all for £83.05 = jobdone!