ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How would I know if there is a alarm in my car

MY04 Scooby STi
Right guys, stupid question time

My car is am import and I noticed on here that someone mentioned that imports do not come with alarms.

Now if this is the case, im in deep trouble with my insurance company as as the terms of my insurance state that I must have have Thatcham Cat 1 alarm on the car. I thought I was fine with this as Uk spec 182 come with alarms, so I told them that the car would be coming with one as standard. Of course if this is not the case then I have paid for a years insurance which the moment is worthless

How do I check if the car has an alarm? Are there any visable signs?

ANy help will be appreciated

Ed

Chocolate Bar™
i thought the alarmed RS's had a red LED in the centre consol by the gear linkage. Mine (a 1.2 16v) only has a flash in the dashboard to show its immobilised

BMW E46 330i Touring
AFAIK it should be a flashing red LED by the gear stick. Alternatively, get someone to sit in the car, lock it and get them to move around. If it's alarmed then it'll go off, if not, then no alarm. :(

yep, red flashing light by the gear stick, the red light on the dash is for the immobiliser, if it does have an alarm it will have an 'ultra sonic' sensor on the pillar either side of the windscreen (the sensors are small black square things which detect movement in the car)

MY04 Scooby STi
right, so im in trouble then as mine doesnt have a red sensor by the gearnob or sensorson the A pillar

get a thatcham cat 1 fitted to it mate, it will cost about £300.00 upwards though, go for one of the makes every ones heard of, clifford, cobra, toad etc.
I think the standard factory fit cat 1 is a corba.

Lee

BMW M2C
Ed_182 said:
right, so im in trouble then as mine doesnt have a red sensor by the gearnob or sensorson the A pillar

If it's an aftermarket alarm the light is more likely to be somewhere on the dash. On my 172 (import) the light was next to the door locking button. I guess it's easier to stick it there than down by the gear lever.

black gold 182
On my 182 i have a renault fitted cobra alarm,they are fitted when they arrive inthe country i believe,definately if you have a cat 1,there will be an led by gear stick

MY04 Scooby STi
well i have ordered a Toad Ai606 with volumetric glass sensor, 2 stage impact/wheel protector % window lift sensor. Cost is £396 fitted, bloke is coming to my office on tuesday to fit