ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to mount Harness

Lotus Elise
Try to use existing hard points such as isofix points. When bolting through the floor use spreader plates on the underside of the bolt. These can be had from places such as demon tweaks

220 Trophy
Have a search on here for a similar thread - there was a realy useful link to a Schroth (I think it was) site with harness mounting instructions you can print off. Honestly I'd do it properly which probably means drilling lots of holes and using the spreader plates as Sam says.

220 Trophy
Just had a look at the link to your harness, if you havent bought it already i'd perhaps wait and save up, I would'nt think the quality was great on a £30-odd harness, you should be looking to spend 10 times that for a good pair with steel adjusters - more with alloy adjusters. Also if you are going the whole-hog and fitting them properly with spreader-plates go for a 6-point harness as you will soon realise their advantage and wish you'd bought one rather than a 4-point.

RS200 & PH2 172
Not looked into them too much and just wanting to get the car onto track for a run out on 1st March just to see how she is before spending some cash getting brakes and suspension modified, cage and decent harness' might be put in later but just wanted to throw something in to get it out on track. What is downside to these cheap ones? I aren't aiming on crashing and was thinking that they would be better than just the standard seat belts

WRX
I've driven a higher top speed on a road than a track, (Abroad of course). Decide what you really need rather than just want. I'm not saying don't do it, just that you don't have to. Brakes will stop you better than a harness.

Renaultsport 220T
Don't waste your money on £31 harnesses.

If you want to invest some money for track days spend it on a. tuition, b. tuition, and c.tuition

220 Trophy
Don't waste your money on £31 harnesses. If you want to invest some money for track days spend it on a. tuition, b. tuition, and c.tuition
As above, this will give you the most improvements over anything. Even now after 3 years of track days I still have at least one instructor session each time I go out, it’s always amazing how much I learn, or re-learn each time.£31 will get you a session and lunch, save your money until you can do the harnesses properly and you know exactly which part of the car you want to upgrade.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
A standard RS 200 is more than capable for your first trackday (i presume it's your first) without the need of harnesses.

As above, spend your money on tuition.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I hate harness with a seatbelt buckle, you have to sort of climb in and out of them putting your arms through, in a mangled car it could hinder you getting out, I'd prefer a standard seatbelt or a harness with a proper catch that releases all the straps seperately.

No need on a normal road car though IMHO even for the odd trackday.

220 Trophy
Andy, I didn't notice you have a 200, I used to track a 200 and the first thing I upgraded was the tyres to a set of 888's, then bigger AP discs and RC6 pads and then a Willans harness which cost circa £350. Don’t spend £30 on your £20k car!! But as has been said above the car is more than capable as it is, just spend your money on lots of instruction!!

RS200 & PH2 172
The harness is for my 172, not 200 that's my road car, I've just bought it to stop killing the 200 on track. Idea is to give it a run out on the 1st March with just buckets in and harness, then between then and over a few months, do brakes, roll cage, put in some decent harnesses and maybe a fire extinguisher, I want to gradually do car and see what difference each mod does to the car before I start on a 197 with megane engine for track

220 Trophy
Andy, same reason I sold my 200 and bought the 172 was because I was killing it on track, you will find obviously its not as good a road car but strip it out and tune it up and its 10 times better. Regarding your harness it just seems like bad economics to buy a poor quality harness (that might end up needing to save your life) to only go and buy a better one later. Have a look in the For Sale section, there are a few decent 6-point harnesses available and still FIA date approved (not that this is really any relevance to you but at least you know they're still fairly new). Bite the bullet and get one of these or alternatively wait and save up. I think you might end up with a strange feeling car though with buckets & harness but still with standard suspension, brakes and tyres, you'd be tied in to softly handling car. Do you still have the standard seats & belts? - if so leave these in and do the other stuff first, or just drive it as standard until you know which bits to upgrade first.