ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How to bleed brakes?

205Gti,HondaCBR600RR
Is this the right order to bleed the brakes when changing the fluid,
Back passenger, back driver, front passenger, front driver?
Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

clio sport 182
thats the order id do them in,normally furthest away from the mastercylder working to the closest,have you ever bled brakes before

205Gti,HondaCBR600RR
Nope thats why Im asking! Got a mate to help me and he's done it before and asked me to check the order you're meant to do it in.

clio sport 182
well that is the deffinate order i would bleed them in mate im only a mechanic in the army,civi cars differ big time but i can assume the same principle applys for brakes at the end of the day you work from furthest to shortest eliminating air so go for it see how it feels at the end of the day your not gona make em any worse that the start

RB 182
Never done them in any order, never been taught an order or seen an order and been a techy for 6 years now. I just start at the front and then do the back, never had any problems with them. Obviously the main tip is make sure the pedals pressed down before you tighten the bleed nipple

Focus RS mk1
i would do them in the order as partyboy said but as faxo said when depressing the pedal to push the fluid out make sure the nipple is tightened befor bringing the pedal back up! this can draw air into the line and give a shite pedal.

Your meant to do the front first. cant remeber what the order is though sorry.

Dont think its overly important though either way.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
ment to do the longest line first, shortest last,

on cars with abs, order is as follows

O/S rear, N/S Rear, O/S Front, N/S Front

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Don't you have to disable the ESP on the cars when you do it?

Or were Renault talking b****cks?

Lmfao .

I've bled em all ways . Started with the fronts , started with the rears . It makes no difference , even with abs . As long as there is no air in the system the jobs a good un :)

RS mk2 172
It makes no difference whether car has ABS, it is however considered more efficient starting from the furthest corner working in although not crucial.

Clio 172 ff
Starting from the furthest corner and working your way through allows bleeding the brake system in such a way, that mixing of the old and the new fluid is minimized.

So, yes, you can do whatever you like, but I don't see a reason not to use the most efficiient way...

RS mk2 172
Must brakes be bled in a specific order?

Bleeding is done one wheel at a time. The "old timers" will tell you to start with the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and then work your way closer. Typically, this would mean RR, LR, RF, then LF. However, it doesn't really matter if you start with the front or rear wheels, since they are on separate brake circuits on modern cars with ABS and/or dynamic stability control systems. However, you should start with the passenger side wheel and then do the driver's side.

Correct order for ABS

1. Left hand front brake
2. Right hand front brake
3. Left hand rear brake
4. Right hand rear brake

:cool:

RS mk2 172
Special precautions to be taken during the brake circuit bleeding operation:
– The vehicle ignition must be off to ensure that the hydraulic unit solenoid valves do not operate.
This procedure, known as conventional bleeding, can be applied after removal or during replacement of:
– a rigid pipe,
– a hose,
– a calliper.
Put the vehicle on a two-post lift.
Connect the bleeding device to the vehicle brake fluid tank, paying attention to the features of this equipment (refer
to the driver's handbook).
Fit the bleed reservoirs to the bleed screws.
Bleed the circuit by opening the bleed screws in the following order (remember to close them after the operation):
– rear right-hand circuit,
– front left-hand circuit,
– rear left-hand circuit,
– front right-hand circuit.
With the engine switched off, check the pedal travel.
If it is not correct, start the bleeding procedure again.
Top up the brake fluid level in the reservoir having disconnected the bleeding device. Check the tightness of the
bleed screws and that the sealing caps are all present.
Check that the adjustment of the brakes is satisfactory by carrying out a road test. If the pedal travel becomes
incorrect during the road test, apply the brake control circuit bleeding procedure.

As taken from Renault Technical Note 3588A