ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How quick is a clio williams?

Mk1 vs Mk2 day... who won? nuff said. Thank you please ;)

Williams is faster, I've owned one, had access to 172's and 182's stock and tuned. My Williams was quicker than Donny's off here as we used to have numerous plays and that's a rare 172 engine that actually makes 172bhp. Ask Boz what happened when he tried to take on the mighty Williams. Once again, couldn't compete against an 11 year old (at the time) car that was 2 up with a boot full of camping gear and 4 wheels with tyres.

Peak power 1*2's make more of, but then they also run far wilder cams and need the VVT to idle smoothly. Even then the Williams makes a better spread of power. Dispute it all you want girls, technology just never moved on, it went backwards if anything. I may replace the F4R for an F7R in mine ;)

Although Jon, There was verry little in it...plus, mine was standard...and yours had been played with!!! ;) :quiet:

She's still doing alright with 175.3Bhp with just panel filter and replacement exhaust!!! I do think my Cup was quick out of the box

true, not a lot in it at all until the speeds crept towards... something not quite legal! ;) was a back box and an open IK I had on at the time, down on power if anything :)

yours is deffo one of the quicker Cups, so it just goes to show how blinkered some of the other posters are on here. A well looked after Williams is easily as quick as a Mk2, stock or mod for mod... really regret selling that car now, wish I'd kept it as a toy as it had some crazy potential :(

Donny, might be heading down your way in the next couple of weeks fella, we'll have to catch up as it's been a while now mate!

VaVa
i have a boggo std willy 1, and a slightly tuned willy 1, std one needs a little work for mot, but when done your welcome to come and get your ass handed to you by either of em. may also have hybrided the valver by then too so thatd be 3 cars able to hand you your arse no problem.

baiting?? lol....

traps been laid many years ago by the williams.and its trapped n killed most 172/182 versions in its time...;)

You're my hero. ;)

My 172 is near (williamsclio) standard (Decat, Zorst, Inlets, FPR, Maxogen, remap) :clown:

Last edited:
Only three pages of the same drivel lads? Come on - You can do better!!

no need to feel smug youth, you're still here in the same tired old discussion saying the same things as before :clown:

I'll bet you £100 here and now that a Williams with the same or less mods (ie just breathing) in decent nick would be quicker. 2 live has a couple of Williams, take the Pepsi challenge and put your money where you mouth is.

i have a boggo std willy 1, and a slightly tuned willy 1, std one needs a little work for mot, but when done your welcome to come and get your ass handed to you by either of em. may also have hybrided the valver by then too so thatd be 3 cars able to hand you your arse no problem.

baiting?? lol....

traps been laid many years ago by the williams.and its trapped n killed most 172/182 versions in its time...;)

You're my hero. ;)

My 172 is near (williamsclio) standard (Decat, Zorst, Inlets, FPR, Maxogen, remap) :clown:

Lol @ williamsclio standard.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
I had a go with an L plate willy, in my old MkII 172, i had a longlife stainless cat back and viper IK . There was nothing in it , This was across the brecon beacons from penderyn to the beacons res.(the road you see evo and top gear using always classic road good visability and plenty of bends , 100% view through 99% of the bends so you can commit yourself .I'm not a slow driver buy any standards 18 years behind the wheel and a lot of track days under my belt. fact is if the willy is driven well and the 172 is diven well there is nothing in it,he would pull on me and i would pull on him, this was a memorable drive as it was 8 miles of flat out 3rd,4th all the way.Remember stopping in the story arms after and having a chat with the guy who was also in his 30s, he had a Devil exhaust system on his and an uprated itg if i remember. I have always liked the Williams 1 the others 2-3 were just extra sales for renault.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Slow!

Had both so i can comment.

Willy - instantly quick due to the weight, but slow above 90.
172 - well i judge mine after basic mods and it was significantly quicker.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

no need to feel smug youth, you're still here in the same tired old discussion saying the same things as before :clown:

I'll bet you £100 here and now that a Williams with the same or less mods (ie just breathing) in decent nick would be quicker. 2 live has a couple of Williams, take the Pepsi challenge and put your money where you mouth is.

Jon's like 75! He's too old for racing. I wouldn't like to tan the wee northeners ass and then him die...I'd feel bad! lol

VaVa

And you're not? :clown:

Beats talking about youtube videos in GC though doesnt it?!

Slow!

Had both so i can comment.

Willy - instantly quick due to the weight, but slow above 90.
172 - well i judge mine after basic mods and it was significantly quicker.

having a slow s**t box doesn't qualify you for anything lol. Compare a decent example of each at least, no good having one that looks relatively clean with an engine that has the ware of a 747 that goes transatlantic every day.

And you're not? :clown:

Beats talking about youtube videos in GC though doesnt it?!

I'm wasn't pretending otherwise though ;) lol

... and yes, GC should be f**king banned, it's a breeding ground for stupidity

VaVa
Oh no doubt. Weight is the enemy of everything. Even stock, it's still over 130kg's lighter than a stock 172 FF, which is a helluva lot. And it's only about 19bhp down (172 PS = 169 bhp or there about iirc)

I can't afford the petrol for racing these days lol

know what you mean mate, I've got a shitty 2.0 N reg Rover to drive about in as it will work out cheaper than just running the ITB'd bad boy, plus keeps the miles off and means I can now strip it out to buggery.

a stripped williams will beat alot

well done Einstein, but who mentioned anything about being stripped? they are lighter anyway, but does this mean more weight should be added to make it fair? similarly should 260+ duration cams be put in the Williams and the car remapped for it making it similar to stock 172 in that sense, as they run far wilder cams and obviously mapped to suit

williams and trophy

Jon's like 75! He's too old for racing. I wouldn't like to tan the wee northeners ass and then him die...I'd feel bad! lol

ur as old as u feel.and i feel about 80 at the mo.

still kick ur ass tho ;)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Donny's cup has always been quick , always struggled to keep up .(b4 he starts :rasp:)

Wasn't gonna say a thing mate...apart from Thank You! :)

You've got mods that are showing results...my Cup is becoming high mileage now...so might not be best time to get some done...:quiet: for Mandy! ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
ur as old as u feel.and i feel about 80 at the mo.

still kick ur ass tho ;)

very big of you Jon, picking on a 12 year old, you should be ashamed ;)

Rite up yeee the pair of ya!

Jon (Jesus) - Nout wrong with my williams, ran 153 on the rollers - thats healthy imo! Just as quick as another 2 williams...So for comparison sake i wouldn't say it's a bag of bolts.

williams and trophy
i would ;)

with just zorst mods, and with babyseats fitted and all the s**t that goes wi kids, 15.0 SQM. without the babyseats n rear seat...14.6 SQM

cup 182 mit stripes
Early 90's, a bloke at work had one and was allways trying to race me on the way home in my 5gtt. At least two times on standing starts I annihilated the Williams, and that was just with water injection and boost upgrade.

I can remember being disappointed when the mk1 Clio came out, could'nt take to the slab sided styling. The mk2? Now that's a sexy shape.

Early 90's, a bloke at work had one and was allways trying to race me on the way home in my 5gtt. At least two times on standing starts I annihilated the Williams, and that was just with water injection and boost upgrade.

I can remember being disappointed when the mk1 Clio came out, could'nt take to the slab sided styling. The mk2? Now that's a sexy shape.

You had a GTT, you've gone up in my estimations. At least you have taste in cars.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
My Williams has an exhaust and decat and is fairly similarly paced to 182's. I have had a few blasts and there has been little in it. I raced cam some time ago and in 2nd he pulled away slightly but in 3rd i crept on him.

I have also raced various other 'hot hatches' and i am yet to come accross one which can heavily pull away.

I have only ever been raped by a couple of cars, being a WR1 and a TME race preped Evo 6.

For a 10 year old car they are very quick/light. With a few k in them it rearly can transform the performance to something else. Whack in some cams, head work and strip it for 180-190bhp in a car weighing a modest claim of 900kg.

Boz

Arctic 182
Mk1 vs Mk2 day... who won? nuff said. Thank you please ;)

Williams is faster, I've owned one, had access to 172's and 182's stock and tuned. My Williams was quicker than Donny's off here as we used to have numerous plays and that's a rare 172 engine that actually makes 172bhp. Ask Boz what happened when he tried to take on the mighty Williams. Once again, couldn't compete against an 11 year old (at the time) car that was 2 up with a boot full of camping gear and 4 wheels with tyres.
Peak power 1*2's make more of, but then they also run far wilder cams and need the VVT to idle smoothly. Even then the Williams makes a better spread of power. Dispute it all you want girls, technology just never moved on, it went backwards if anything. I may replace the F4R for an F7R in mine ;)

Ha ha, I thought you were talking about me in the earlier post, that was ages ago! Admit your car was going well, but being on the M1 and liking my license was a factor. Also my car was tight at the time, and yours wasn't exactly standard was it ;)
All said and done though, I recon the pace of a Williams and 182 is almost identical, and the Williams has better handling as standard.

williams and trophy
oh btw.....i was 2 up in that vid, and the 5gtt was running on wets iirc, lot more modded than the willy too.

0-60 iirc is 6.9 but if you raise the rev limit to 7k instead of 6.5k you'll be getting there in about 6 iirc.

My stripped hybrid with no internal engine mods did 0-60 in 6.3 secs, but it was a b****cks start, spun all the way through 1st and most of 2nd

The mk2 clio looks a bit 'ginger beer'.....