ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much to replace a 172 throttle cable

Yeah! And it wont be cable it will be a special kind of renault string, made from french sheeps wool, freshly plucked from a sheep that day grazing in the special renault field across the channel. Then when it snaps they will tell you its drivers abuse and you planted your right foot too hard!

I had the throttle cable replaced on my mk1 172 for £17.50 parts and labour. That was with a 50% "Good Will" discount.

There are always upsides and downsides I guess, if FBW does go wrong I bet it will cost a fortune! Hopefully the cable wont cost too mjuch. I just phoned renault and they reckon the part is approx £17-20 + VAT. Dunno how long it will take in terms of labour though

I know its not a 172 which was the original question but I was quoted £56.12 + VAT all in to have this done on my 16V at Renault, It must be around the same ball park ?? Hope this helps anyway,

Mike

If it wasnt too dear, Id swap my Cup to a cable in a minute. Its not the first car with a FBW throttle Ive driven, which has about a half second delay in doing what you tell it with your right foot.

Blo*dy electronics- bring back Webers, Ashely Exhausts, and good ole leaded 4* if you ask me. Lead, the way forward for valves.

FBW is crap. Not just on my Cup but on others Ive tried too. Bring back old fashioned cables, and leaded petrol too while Im at it.

mk1 clio cables have a tendency to fray and snap - im sure if you ask your renault dealer if there has been a re-call on your car they will check for you. all dealers have an ICM link up to france and when ever renault do a recall on an unreliable part they add it to your cars file. so if your dealer types in your reg or chassis there maybe a chance it is covered under the recall and you will get it done free. if not a cable is a bout £15 and there dead easy to fit. like i say mk 2 clio acc cables snap for fun.

Fozzy - apparently it can, my local dealership said theyve done it to a couple of cups due to problems with the fbw - I guess they use the mk1 throttle body.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 22 October 2003

Yerr FBW is cr4p.. you want a real throttle cable ;)
if its good enough for concorde its good enough for me :D

FBW - when you press your accelerator pedal there is a sensor on the pedal harness which senses how much pressure you are applying to the accelerator. this sends a message via your wiring loom to your ECU. This then sends a message to a reciever built into your throttle body which then sends current to an electric motor inside your throttle body. the motor opens the butterly depending on how hard you press your pedal - god nows why they use it. its an expensive complex system for a relatively basic procedure. in my books - if it aint broke............ dont fix it.

CLIO 172
Re: Archived Post from old forum

Not had any trouble with my mk2 phase 2 throttle ............................. Errrrm ok once i washed the engine and ended up with a chronic misfire as water was half way up the plugs and i had a tapping sound from top end ,lost all throttle response on a roundabout and engine died but started straight up and went like a rocket again. Maybe i was lucky.
Moral : DO NOT WASH A 172 ENGINE AS IT CAUSES HELL OF A PROBLEM. The plastic cover acts like a window sill { water runs under and drips straight down the plug recesses.}