ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how much to get a clio track ready??

Took mine as standard on track and it was fantastic. Managed to overtake a few things too! I did a little novice write up if it's of any help. After using it standard I've updated to brembo hc discs and deriding ds2500 pads and added eibach sportlines. The standard suspension was fine although so far I've found the sportlines to be much better on the road.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
personally id say,

Ph1 clio 172 - £700
Brembo HC/Braided lines/DS2500/good fluid - £250 (ish)
Pollybush dogbone mount - £50
strip it out - Free

youll have a fun track toy for about £1000.

Lotus Elise
Hub swap and driveshaft swap being the much more pain in the arse, but better in the long run option, as at least your expensive dampers are still saleable easily if they arent modified, so if you want something you can fit for a while then put back to standard to sell on its a good route to go down (esp as you can sell the whole "172 conversion package" that way)

Not a bad option but its certainly not a cheap one just use the money to buy a T lol

Chip, I can't believe I've just had a proper grownup debate on Cliosport at this rate people will start using the search function soon......

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not a bad option but its certainly not a cheap one just use the money to buy a T lol

Ha, true, especially as the argument that a 172 is cheaper to crash starts going out the window when its got 1K of suspension work done to it, lol

Chip, I can't believe I've just had a proper grownup debate on Cliosport at this rate people will start using the search function soon......

Indeed, I had to glance up to keep checking the URL when I was reading your replies to make sure I wasnt on the wrong website when you kept making sense, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
personally id say,

Ph1 clio 172 - £700
Brembo HC/Braided lines/DS2500/good fluid - £250 (ish)
Pollybush dogbone mount - £50
strip it out - Free

youll have a fun track toy for about £1000.

or:
dont strip it out - also free
and then its still almost as good on track, but pleasant on the road for his mrs to use as a second car

700 for a good phase 1 is happening far less now though, i'd budget near double that I think

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Disagree? Id happily take you out in mine and hunt down any 'track' clio going.

Damn, Jay & Tony could've saved an absolute wedge of time & cash if they'd just entered in a standard Trophy. :p

IMG_1743.jpg

Lotus Elise
Nope, you definitely said 'any'. I'd certainly come along to see this happen

Haha its got to be worth a go, might have to remove the rear seats, I suspect Burpspeed might be a stretch to far for le Claude.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Haha its got to be worth a go, might have to remove the rear seats, I suspect Burpspeed might be a stretch to far for le Claude.

No backing down now Sam, that cheques already cashed, Lol :p

Seriously though, would be interesting to watch. Could cam rig both cars & post up the results :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH I read "track clio" as a trackday road legal mot'd up car, not a race car, to me they are slightly different things.

If they are running slicks and you are on road tyres, you are probably going to get pretty thoroughly bummed.

182cup & 172 racecar
We don't run on slicks, but bumming Sam,Mmmmm, he's bit skinny for me.

Two completely different cars here though, but I do like the photo.

jamier27

ClioSport Club Member
  T5, Ariel Atom 300
I have just done the same thing as the OP,
Wanted a car for the misses to be able to commute back and forth to work but something a bit cheaper to thrash round a track than the gta.
Payed 2k for a cup with kw v3's, recaro's, strut braces on 78k with belts done... Its a bit tatty but with decent service history hopefully will get me on track and serve me well.

Turbo LY R27
My 182 with just camber bolts, prolines and rear ARB with ps3's is great on track. Surprised how good they are as standard with a few basic mods!!

PMSL at Trophy being the best out of the box track car

Heavier than a 172 cup, slower than a 172 cup, fancy suspension that costs a fortune to replace

I do love Trophy's - but when my cup was standard and I did a few track days, it was quicker than standard trophy's and cost £1500 less
Also if you prang a cup there's spare parts all over ebay

Lotus Elise
Phil, how much does your cup weigh? My Trophy weighs 1072kg with several CDs bottles of coke and just under half a tank.

IMO the trophy is the best compromise between daily commuter and out the box track car.

Phil, how much does your cup weigh? My Trophy weighs 1072kg with several CDs bottles of coke and just under half a tank.

IMO the trophy is the best compromise between daily commuter and out the box track car.

The cup was around 1010kg with half a tank
I weighed everything coming out of it and it was over 100kg but then put a 55kg cage back in it - so best guess would be around 960kg with cage
I'm gonna go get it corner weighted in a few months so I'll have an exact figure then

I agree with your last sentence though, cruise control would be nice for the drives down to brands hatch, and the cup seats are horrid although quite comfy. Also the lack of ABS is fun in the winter if you're a noob lol

The trouble is there isn't a compromise - if you start using a trophy on track you'll hate the air con sapping power, and the extra weight slowing you down - 172 cups will be faster and you'll start stripping the trophy. But then it will be a crap road car

This is what I did with the cup - it had recaro's in it and 182 rear bench - was a lovely daily drive and even did a long drive to the ring in it and it was quick enough on the ring - but on track it was comparatively slow against other clios. So then out comes the interior and smaller wheels go on and better suspension, but then it's stiff and uncomfy and noisy on the road. If it's gonna be noisy and uncomfy might as well go nuts so out comes sound deadening, in goes cage, bodies, exhaust etc.. etc.. before you know it you've got a good track car and an awful daily drive

2 cars is the answer!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
2 cars is the answer!

^ This

I have always had a seperate daily for the last 15 years or so as I got fed up struggling for work after breaking something on track etc.
I now have the attitude that whatever gets me to work etc is just a tool and I dont care what it is so long as its cheap to run and reliable, and then I can go as weird and whacky with my trackday creations as I want and it doesnt ever risk losing me my day to day transport.

Lotus Elise
I agree with your last sentence though

Thank you, not everyone who does trackdays wants to go home and instantly rip everything out of there car because it will make them 'quicker' or feel that 2bhp that the air con uses holds them back. The vast majority of people who use there clios on track dont drive stripped out 'track weapons'.

Unless he has way over 200bhp... I dont think it will be actually ;)

Is your clio a daily driver?

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Thank you, not everyone who does trackdays wants to go home and instantly rip everything out of there car because it will make them 'quicker' or feel that 2bhp that the air con uses holds them back. The vast majority of people who use there clios on track dont drive stripped out 'track weapons'.

Is your clio a daily driver?

Its fine as a road car. Quite firm but totally usable. I've driven it to the Ring few times... I'm driving it to the Ring in 10 days time actually. Love driving it. I don't drive every day as work in London... and without wanting to sound like a dick... but if you had a Ferrari F430 spider and you wanted to drive on the road... would you pick up the Keys to your Clio instead of it?

Thats irrelevant anyway... you said this

Some FAST Clios out there... and I dont mean mine either although its no slouch. What you said was a bit ambitious... I do see the point you are making.

You should have said 'most' not 'any' ;)

Anyway... your challenge was accepted! :) win or loose we will have some fun dude and be good to meet you :)

P.S even my little sister did 1000miles in a weekend in my Clio. To the Ring and back! It is NOT some stripped out track car that is useless on the road. Far from it.

IMG_3744.jpg

she drove it all the way there and back! and on Ring... me and my mates took the Lotus's. When we got to Ring I took the Clio and pushed mine and my mates Exige around for 2 days! EPIC little Clio!

974e577f.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3606.jpg

Next lap...

IMG_3591.jpg

Last edited:

I disagree there - every track day I've done with renaultsport or just a normal open pit day, I've only met 2 people in clio's with their interior in
Met more than 20 with buckets, stripped out

Trophy ftw, adjustable front dampers from super soft to bloody stiff, nice set of springs, camber bolts and whiteline. Dampers mean it can handle track rubber or road driving, nice seats, air con mean it can be driven daily then be hooned round track. Trophys are so much fun on track after about £300 spending on them. Silly to buy anything else unless you want a race car.

Hahha only just read that - does that extend to my track clio?
Come to Anglesey on the 25th may ;) x

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I'd say its half and half. Stripped out etc to full interiors.

I prefer to keep cars nice to drive.... and if it was my only car I would keep EVERYTHING in it!!!

I went out in Madgits 172 he just bought a few weeks back. Std car, just new discs and hotter pads. SUPERB LITTLE FUN TRACK CAR (very well driven too!) and still makes a lovely road car that does 40mpg if you need it to!!!!

AWESOME. Incredible value now these little Clios!

Yep - I remember those days

Got 41mpg driving to Brands Hatch, had leather Recaros and leather rear bench
Got there, pulled the rear seats out as it's only one bolt and put them in the garage, had a whole day on track with just brembo discs and ferodo pads. Put the seats back in and drove home at 40mpg hehe

Brilliant cars - comfy, quiet, cheap and fun

It's just a very addictive thing - you want to go quicker and quicker, and the cars never stay standard for long lol

Lotus Elise
Some FAST Clios out there... and I dont mean mine either although its no slouch. What you said was a bit ambitious... I do see the point you are making.

Check my build thread out my car is nicely suited to track and my 300 miles trip home to the IoM.

Rockingham on the 17th March, I love a good challenge especially on circuit. I know what you are saying about your road car choice, who takes a clio on track when you can take a KTM Xbow GT4.

Come to Anglesey on the 25th may ;)

Come Rock, all you Cup bummers need tacking down a peg ;) Seriously though driver experience is a massive factor and not to being big headed but the only clio to overtake me on track was a Clio Cup Car at Oulton, oh and Burpspeed but my clutch peddle was currently stuck down so thats not fair.

I agree, full on track cars aren't what I was referring to but Ive made my bed so I might as well lay in it. Every trackday I have done with CS members has always been great fun so I have no doubt if we were on track we'd have a ball. Come on CS organise a trackday!

Come Rock, all you Cup bummers need tacking down a peg ;) Seriously though driver experience is a massive factor and not to being big headed but the only clio to overtake me on track was a Clio Cup Car at Oulton, oh and Burpspeed but my clutch peddle was currently stuck down so thats not fair.

Hahahha quality response. Would love to mate but I haven't had mine mapped yet so May will be it's first outing
Also I have no doubt you'd hand me my ass regardless of the power/weight difference - I've seen you drive, and I suck lol

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
So you take the Clio because for whatever reason you cant take the KTM.

You aren't actually choosing the Clio. Thats fair enough. Just wondered if you were thats all :)

I like KTM's alot.

WRX
Is anybody who thinks that it's actually worth stripping a Clio for trackdays going to Donny on Sunday?
I am genuinely interested in how much difference it makes, if I get totally trounced on I will admit it but I just can't see that it's worth all the effort. I don't know if they are on here but there was a stripped and caged Ph1 at Bedford a few weeks ago and performance seemed about the same as mine. If it was an out and out racecar then I see the point but to me trackdays are just a bit of fun.