ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much to charge?

Honda & VW
A mate popped round on the weekend and wanted to know if I was up for giving his car a good clean inside and out as I have all the product and he’s a lazy sod. I said I wouldn’t want to be doing any waxing etc in the current weather conditions but would happy be up for that later in the year.

He then said could I just give it a foam/clean soon as it’s filthy.

He wants to know how much I’d want for doing this for him.

A] Simply shampoo wash and chamois
B] Wash, wax, wheel clean, tyre shine, interior clean and hoover etc etc

He’s a mate so clearly I don’t want to rip him off but I really have no idea what to charge?

Bumder With A Buffer
I've done it before and when I have next been out on the piss didnt spend any monies as he bought me drinks all night :)

I wasnt expecting anything. If it was correction work then thats a different matter

Mini Cooper S
A mate of mine has just got a new car, I'll happily spend a few hours giving it a good wash and wax. I'm not gonna charge him for 3 hours work, he can just get me some lunch or a few drinks in return. However if I didn't like this mate I'd charge him £15/£20.

Crappy work hire car
I certainly wouldn't spend a few hours washing someone else's car for free - its hard work. Its different when its your own car - you take pride in it.
Saying that, £20 per hour is very steep. Just give him a flat figure and ask for a few beers to keep it lighthearted and friendly?

Bumder With A Buffer
A mate of mine has just got a new car, I'll happily spend a few hours giving it a good wash and wax. I'm not gonna charge him for 3 hours work, he can just get me some lunch or a few drinks in return. However if I didn't like this mate I'd charge him £15/£20.

+1

Although Id charge the cnut £40 ;)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
I use to do my mates car for free all the time, until he got the ibiza and he wanted it tidied up, £50 for foaming, 2bm, clayin, machine polishing + lsp. Still waiting for my money though, that was october.

Just remember even mates can take the piss!

Crappy work hire car
Claying and correction is hard work. A simple wash and wax isn't.

No but its bloody boring when its not your own car! Tell the lazy cnut to get his hands dirty, or pay one of those hand car wash places

In fact, why not charge him a tenner, you can take the car to the local polish car wash and your done. You make a £6 profit for no work at all.

Bumder With A Buffer
No but its bloody boring when its not your own car! Tell the lazy cnut to get his hands dirty, or pay one of those hand car wash places

It depends. I like spending time washing cars for some strange reason!

I certainly wouldnt be bothered if a mate asked me to do his.

At least he would know I would take care of it a bit more then the local Tesco/Polish workers. Saw on of the cars they had "finished" the other day...missed loads of bits the silly buggers!

Crappy work hire car
In fact, why not charge him a tenner, you can take the car to the local polish car wash and your done. You make a £6 profit for no work at all.

Post of the day.

To be honest, neither I nor my mates would dream of asking one another to wash our cars, bloody cheeky and lazy if you ask me!

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lols at charging your mate, get him to get a few beers and lunch in for you.

I'm sure he'll hump you if you need a favour off him.

I wouldn't dream of charging my mates cash monies for little jobs doing. Maybe a full pc but not a fricking wash n wax!

Bit of banter and some cleaning jobs a good un!

Mini Cooper S
£30 LOL, can you send some of these mates over my way?

Gally got it spot on, invite him over...spray him with the hose, squirt some wax in his eye. He'll love it!

Honda & VW
Friends do each other favours. Nuff said.

I'm all for favours and to be honest a quick wash and dry i'd happily do for sod all but spending hours doing a proper job is a bit more than a favour.

giving a mate a lift to work or something is a favour, taking him on a 200 mile trip warrants payment.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Aye petrol money, i'm not saying it should cost you money but if he's a mate then don't be charging him.

Mini Cooper S
But yellowbelly would charge his mate for tyre wear, bolster wear, driveshaft wear, suspension and break wear. + £35 petrol.

Honda & VW
But yellowbelly would charge his mate for tyre wear, bolster wear, driveshaft wear, suspension and break wear. + £35 petrol.

No, simply petrol costs would suffice kiddo

If you think about it its no different charging a mate for favours as it is doing it foc, in the long run we all probably come out even, if i charge my mate £30 for something he may well do something back for me for the same.

Mini Cooper S
So you'd charge him £20 petrol to cover fuel costs. So why don't you charge this mate a few drinks to cover cleaning products used. I don't see the logic.

Honda & VW
So you'd charge him £20 petrol to cover fuel costs. So why don't you charge this mate a few drinks to cover cleaning products used. I don't see the logic.

Valid point. However i enjoy driving whereas cleaning the car is more of a chore therefore chargable

Mk4 .:R32
There is doing mates favours like picking them up if they need it, or lending them a bit of money if they are strapped, and then there is spending 3 hours + of your free weekend/evening just cos they're a lazy c*nt

I'd only do it for a bit of cash. Not a lot but something (say £15 or so)! Otherwise, as previously said, mates can take the piss.

f**k being a 'Ned Flanders'

Crappy work hire car
There is doing mates favours like picking them up if they need it, or lending them a bit of money if they are strapped, and then there is spending 3 hours + of your free weekend/evening just cos they're a lazy c*nt

I'd only do it for a bit of cash. Not a lot but something (say £15 or so)! Otherwise, as previously said, mates can take the piss.

Exactly

Taking £15 off a mate is probably worse than not charging them. Makes you look like a right cheap skate IMO

Mk4 .:R32
Taking £15 off a mate is probably worse than not charging them. Makes you look like a right cheap skate IMO

Not really as it covers products you've used, plus if his mate expects him to do it for free then he's a c*nt and crap mate to be honest

Storm Grey 200
I charge £40 for a polish and seal using a machine for friends. Just a quick wash, would require a can of coke and some food tbh

I did a mates car a few weeks back, black A3 so no easy job. I didn't dream of charging him as he's a mate.

The next day he rocked up with a crate of beers. Thats what mates do, appreciate eachother... I shared the beers with him, too.

I did a mates car a few weeks back, black A3 so no easy job. I didn't dream of charging him as he's a mate.

The next day he rocked up with a crate of beers. Thats what mates do, appreciate eachother... I shared the beers with him, too.

Aye, thats my thought aswell