ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how much for a lambda change?

clio 192
Hi all,

my ph1 172 failed its mot on emissions last week and rentech have advised changing the lambda, i live near Brighton so can't get it to them as the mot has now expired so i may have to resort to kwikfit or local garage to get it changed before the retest expires - what should i be looking at price wise for the bill?

clio 192
I don't know which one it is, it has failed all the emissions and i got it tested at an mot-only centre so they haven't looked at it. I don't know what i'm doing when it comes to changing it myself so not that happy with doing it :S

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Im not sure on how to check the lambda sensor's myself, but wouldnt it show on the Emmisions test as sensor 1 or something?

clio 192
i have taken it to kwik fit as they are the closest garage to me, they have quoted £85 for the part plus labour which shouldn't take long - not bad i thought, then the guy says there is a screw/bolt that runs through both the cat and the sensor and that in a worse case scenario this might break or whatever and then they would have to change the cat as well - another £400. Does that sound slightly dodgy to anyone else?

None
Dont take it to kwik fit, try a smaller business first, tell them what kwik fit have said, and you thought they were taking the piss. There should be a mechanic or 2 on here that can tell you how it works

clio 192
so they're talking s**t to get more money from me? i have read that the sensor is an arse to get off, i don't have a drive or a lot of tools, i would just fell happier if a garage did it. But if kwik fit are trying it on they can get lost

Ph1
22mm spanner from memory at one end, other end simply plugs in.

If you can jack up a car on axle stands you can do this easy

BMW M5 & E36
Jack the car up, stands under for safety. Have a nose around the downpipe and you'll see a round sensor poking out with a 22mm hex at the base of it, the other end plugs into the engine loom.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
If you can't be bothered to do it yourself...Go down to Rentech in Portsmouth. Mike charged me £85 fitted a few weeks back...

clio 192
heh i had it booked with him but the mot has run out and i don't want to get done for driving without it, its an hour drive so i'm not taking the risk.

So from what people are saying there isn't actually a bolt that would break causing me to have to get the cat changed?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Re-book a MOT with him, then you are allowed to drive the vehicle up to the MOT test centre.

No theres no bolt, the only type of bolt is the lambda sensor

Lots of Alfas
Its easy to get off, especially if yours is a early 172ph1, its just the one sensor on the downpipe, jack the whole front up, put on stands, one spanner and its off. Theres just enough room to turn the spanner.

172 phII
Ive changed mine today by myself.

Lambdas were stuck so I had to heat them and exhaust surrounding them with a torch. That happens when you dont apply that copper paste.