ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How much can you lower without getting new shocks?

ClioSport 172
I really dont know that much technical stuff at all about lowering cars... want to lower mine though! Was gonna buy coilovers with adjustable height, but I kind of dont really want to spend quite so much money... although I probably will end up doing so!

So just been doing some research on just lowering springs etc... so how much can you lower on standard shocks without ruining anything?

Cheers guys, any info is loved! :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd say around 30mm from my experience, anything more and you'd need uprated ones imo :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
people on here have lowerd there clios on 60mm springs, dont fink any1 has had a problem yet

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
people on here have lowerd there clios on 60mm springs, dont fink any1 has had a problem yet

yeah there will be no problems as such, but the ride will be crashy as f**k tbh, which defeats the object!!! The extra strain/pressure on the dampers majorly f***s up their life also.....

ClioSport 172
^^^ Thats what i've been told...

Is it worth paying out the extra for coilovers, even though my car only gets driven round town?!

Titanium 182
i had 60mm springs on stock dampers for about 6 months and it was fine, a little crash on speed bumps and that but it handled lovely on decent roads and at high speed.

W

Willy

gonna get lots of mixed opinions mate. did alot of reading up on this myself and finally came to the conclusion, yes you can drop 60mm on standard shocks but for a better ride new shocks would'nt go a miss. for the price of a decent set of springs and shocks i believe you might aswell get coilovers. 30-40mm is whats advised on normal shocks and anything below new shocks are advised but arnt exactly a must.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
^^^ Thats what i've been told...

Is it worth paying out the extra for coilovers, even though my car only gets driven round town?!

Just get some 30mm springs then imo. Dont need coilovers unless your going looow ;)

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2469

^Should be fine on your current shocks, but is always nice to maybe just get some standard new Renault shocks. I did that with the gf's Saxo, lowered 30mm and bought some new standard fit Bilstien shocks from demon tweeks

Last edited:
  ClioSport 172
I was thinking lower than 30mm... but then I dont wanna buy them, stick them on & then decide actually I want it down to 40mm if you get me? Least with the coilovers I can change the height?!

I'll measure my arches tonight & see how much of a gap there already is, cause at the moment my baby looks like a 4x4... not good! lol

Cheers for all your advice guys

Works...kind of...
Lowering on standard shocks is fine, but I'd recommend getting new ones. Lowered springs have a tendancy of killing already-worn shocks.

I'm running Eibach Sportlines on KYB Premium shocks (bit like OEM+) and it's perfect.

...Well the front is, the back ones are farked! :eek:

ClioSport 172
Right ok, cheers!

Also... u know shocks can need replacing individually, what happens with coilovers? Can you buy seperate parts or a coilover individually? I really dont know much at all!

PH2 172
I dont think you can buy coilovers individually but i would quess the company would repair them if they did get damaged not sure