ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How long to change alternator?

Nimbus Clio 197
Dropped my car off at my local garage this morning at 11, just phoned up now and apparently its been a massive job, and they only just realised they need to take the bumper off? Sounds ridiculous to me!

Inferno 182 & Saxo
would not be trusting those guys to do it, considering what an FF 182's aux belt is like and how much can be fucked up by incompetence

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep. Sounds a bit of an excuse to me.

At a guess, I'd say an hour and a half's work.

Nimbus Clio 197
Yeah doesn't sound good to me at all. Always used this garage in the past, and it wasn't possible to get it into the places I would have preferred ie. Birchdown

Nimbus Clio 197
Man, I'm in a right shitty mood now. It's so annoying not having a garage you trust nearby.

Nimbus Clio 197
Its about an hour and a quarter from me. But I don't think I would have made it with the alternator as it is. Was booked in to have my new exhaust fitted there this afternoon but had to ring up and cancel that because of this as well.

Plodwyn

ClioSport Club Member
  182 cup
Did mine a few weeks ago, as said its fiddly you dont need to take the bumper off despite what everybody says, you can easily access the removal of the alternator just by removing the grill

330i. E30 Touring.
Did mine a few weeks ago, as said its fiddly you dont need to take the bumper off despite what everybody says, you can easily access the removal of the alternator just by removing the grill

Bumper off is just as simple as removing the grill. Actually, I'd say easier.

I put a new one in mine yesterday thought I'd chance a s/h one from here had it tested first all was on but put it on the car and it whines. Back to the alternator repair place and said bearings fine charging fine not much he can do so think I'm going to buy a new one Monday. Was expecting a nitemare job to do this and the aux belt but was dead easy. Only took 20 mins to get it all back off the car. The worst bit first time round was finding a tool to get the idler off the bottom.

Lionel Richie
absolute tops (doing it on the floor) is 2 hours

Autodata quote 2.2 from memory, if they charge more than that then they're going Jimmy on you

Nimbus Clio 197
Least I have the car back. Charged me £100. And Fred is back, great! Need a few things doing :)

Nimbus Clio 197
I know yeah, shocker. Basically, I don't think the bloke who did it had a clue. Lesson learned anyway!