ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How easy should the passenger shaft come out

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
As above, I changed both shafts at the weekend.
With the ball joint and shock bolts removed at the passenger side, the shaft fell out the gearbox under its own weight.
The gaiter obv holds it in place but it seemed very easy to remove/refit.

I've always had shafts that bolt in in the past so I'm not sure if its normal or not.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
That's completely normal.

Had one fall out above me once when the fluid was still in. Worst shower ever.

When changing clutches I just take the strut, hub and shaft out as one unit.

330i. E30 Touring.
As said, once you've removed the 3x bolts holding the gaitor to the box, it'll just fall out.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you arent relatively careful with it I would imagine its pretty easy to knock it out enough to split the gaiter even with the 3 bolts still in, it REALLY doesnt want to stay in there, lol.

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
If you arent relatively careful with it I would imagine its pretty easy to knock it out enough to split the gaiter even with the 3 bolts still in, it REALLY doesnt want to stay in there, lol.

Yeh I'd think you were right. I bolted that end up before the shocks/ball joints and you could easily feel it slotting in and out.

At least its done now and I know its meant to be like that

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

That's what happened to me