ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do i install a shift light on a Ph2 172 Clio ?

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
Hi, well im trying to install a shift light on my rally Clio but i dont seem to get any pulse while trying to connect it to the coil pack, my mechanic told me he tried to hook it to the ECU but failed too.

So how do i connect the shift light (it works the same way as a tachometer), or do i need some kind of adapter?

impreza sti prodrive
it already has 1 has it not? an orange light that comes on the dash just befor the rev limiter, there orange on a 172 & green on a 182 am i right in saying this? sure i am

Clio 172
it already has 1 has it not? an orange light that comes on the dash just befor the rev limiter, there orange on a 172 & green on a 182 am i right in saying this? sure i am

Erm my change gear light is green! and I have a 172 . . . Is that right or should it be orange?

Chelsea tractor
Its not a limiter, it comes on when you're close to the limiter. Renault badge it as an "optimum gear shift light" or some such waffle.
The best shift point is before it comes on. I'd call it a "way past the time to change gear you effing moron" light ;)

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
That light is tiny and you cant set the RPMs, so its totally useless in competition imo

impreza sti prodrive
why would you want to stop & stare at a light when your canning it? you can tell by the tone of the engine when you need to change gear anyway, & i had no problem seing mine when i was canning the 182 of the limiter in every gear,

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
So what exactly is the best point to change gear then?

In a 1*2 it is just before you hit the limiter from my experience, so just after the "light" comes on.
I was always told it's about 6.5k in the 1*2's, as power drops after then.

Chelsea tractor
So what exactly is the best point to change gear then?

In a 1*2 it is just before you hit the limiter from my experience, so just after the "light" comes on.
As Warren said above. Just because you can rev to the redline doesn't mean that the engine will be producing peak power at that point! ;)

Tav

Clio 197
I was always told it's about 6.5k in the 1*2's, as power drops after then.

Have a look in the loss power thread, my car is making power to 7000-7200rpm, it'll rev to 7800rpm but there really is no need to go any further. You can feel it when your driving though, no need for a shift light/buzzer unless your competing...can be difficult to hear the engine with a helmet on and lots of race engines are fragile so it's not worth the risk.

ITB'd MK1
At our RR day peek power on nearly all the 172 was around 6800rpm

that is variable on how the RPM was measured though, most RR days are done just using a wheel speed to RPM conversion rather than connecting to the coil. Wheelspeed relies on a calculation which can be out by an increasing amount as RPM rises.

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
... could anyone ask the question please?

The stock light is not good, nor is the sound of the engine, its for a rally Clio not for a street one.

Power drops off from 6500 sure but you're still better off in a lower gear for a few hundred revs after peak power. Shift light or whatever comes on at about 7k. If you look at peoples RR graphs there is still a decent amount of power at 7k.

OP sorry for high jacking ;-) Surely one of the feeds to the coil pack must give you what you want?

My trusty lil 182 :)
Might be worth asking foxy or matteh on here. they have both spent a lot of time wiring up their 172 conversions including rev counters and might be able to point you in the right direction...

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
Power drops off from 6500 sure but you're still better off in a lower gear for a few hundred revs after peak power. Shift light or whatever comes on at about 7k. If you look at peoples RR graphs there is still a decent amount of power at 7k.

OP sorry for high jacking ;-) Surely one of the feeds to the coil pack must give you what you want?

no, i dont get any signal from the coilpack at all, and the shift light is actually working properly i tried it in another car

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
no, i dont get any signal from the coilpack at all, and the shift light is actually working properly i tried it in another car

i've got one of these rigged up, takes a pulse from one coil wire

http://www.otto-racing.co.uk/digital_tacho.htm

just bear in mind that i have to change the setting to '2 cylinders' so that it reads correctly (as it is only taking a reading from the pulse signals for 2 of the spark plugs, if you get that?)

if i set it to 4 cylinders it would under read by half, maybe thats why you arent getting the light coming on? because it is set up for 4 cylinders and 'thinks' you are only at 3000rpm when you are really at 6000rpm?

have you got a link to the product you have?

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
i've got one of these rigged up, takes a pulse from one coil wire

http://www.otto-racing.co.uk/digital_tacho.htm

just bear in mind that i have to change the setting to '2 cylinders' so that it reads correctly (as it is only taking a reading from the pulse signals for 2 of the spark plugs, if you get that?)

if i set it to 4 cylinders it would under read by half, maybe thats why you arent getting the light coming on? because it is set up for 4 cylinders and 'thinks' you are only at 3000rpm when you are really at 6000rpm?

have you got a link to the product you have?

I have the adaptor for the 2 - 4 cylinders so recieving half signal is not a problem.

Could you post a pic or be very descriptive of how exactly are you plugging it? , in what part of the coil?

oh btw is your car a 172 ?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
i have just spliced into a signal wire coming off the coilpack, stripped wire back and soldered my wire running to rev counter on to that

yes the engine is from a 172

Rally Clio N3 Mk2
Well just to let everyone know that i finally successfully installed the shift light.

I used the adapter i had and it works perfectly :)

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I have a 2004 172 and my light is green. Spotted it in the manual as an optimum shift light so checked to see when it came on.

I searched for graphs when I first joined and checked where the power dropped off.

IMO, looking through the RR graphs and seeing where the power is gives you a better idea of when to shift up and also how far to shift down (if you need to drop a gear or two to pick up speed quickly) than a light on the dash.

Ph 1 172
i got a green light its the optimuim gear change light..... says it in the cars manual. although if your using that to tell you when to change gear i probably wouldnt bother driving lol

2002 172
From dialogys

Max. engine speeds for a coolant temperature < 75°C 6,700 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 1st or 2nd gear 7,200 rpm
for a coolant temperature > 75°C in 3rd, 4th or 5th speed 7,000 rpm

Gear change indicator light illuminating approximately 300 rpm before the maximum engine speed.

on 1*2s its not an optimum gear shift light, even though thats what its called in manuals etc.

on 197s onwards it is, but by accident more than design