ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horror

Evo 5, Impreza wrx
Ive had my Clio 182 for a good few years now and its wanted for nothing really. Was a good low mileage Cup car with the Optional Recaro Pack.

1014556_641062279255354_567879031_o_zps27f63efa.jpg

883332_599918963369686_625183565_o_zps69c1485d.jpg

Just spent a small fortune on tyres and brakes fitting two Brand new Uniroyal Rainsport 3s about 2 weeks ago and fitted new brakes on tuesday the 21st.

front Brembo HC discs £45
front Ferodo Racing DS2500 track/road pads £125
rear genuine Renault discs with bearings/abs rings £99
rear Brembo oem pads £22
ATE Superblue brake fluid £15 a litre (1L will do)
oem spec NGK spark plugs for £36 for a set of 4.
Goodridge Phantom fully stainless steel (including fittings) £76
spacers £18 please.

10562607_892596010768645_693931312238206229_o_zpsb30ddbd6.jpg

Me and a Friend who also has a Clio 182 Spent all of Tuesday the 21st August fitting the above brakes to my car took us till about 23:30 to finish it so as we left work to go for some food this happened :mad:

10507007_893057337389179_3589475526490238001_o_zps6e5b8e68.jpg

and guess who hit me in the back................ Yup you guessed it...

10496025_893057320722514_2788368853612528540_o_zpsc34ac9b7.jpg

Both cars destroyed. My friend had only bought the car off this forum weeks prior to this night and he was only third party fire and theft :S.

I had stopped to let a car out of a driveway and my buddy said he was messing around with his stereo and never noticed i had came to a complete halt. slammed into the back of me without even breaking at all.:dead:

Insurance company has got in touch and told me the cars are defo write off's and are going to allow me to keep the car so now im not sure what to do with them. Maybe break for parts if enough interest.

Van
This is why I always preach to anyone who will listen about the danger of stopping on a main road just to let people out. Very kind and all that, but who pays the price? Not the guy who get's let out that's for sure.

Even at junctions people waiting get one flash from a distance, If they aren't looking tough luck.

Sorry to see your loss, but hopefully everyone's fine and a lesson or two were learned.

320d
To be fair between the two you have one good car. Slight colour mismatch but you could share it...

Evo 5, Impreza wrx
To be fair between the two you have one good car. Slight colour mismatch but you could share it...

i have been thinking of making one good car out the 2 for a track toy. my mate owns a accident repair shop where my car currently is so a re spray would be very cheap

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh reallllllllllly???? lol

NCAP test for frontal impact are done at 40mph..

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/renault_clio_2000/64.aspx
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/frontimpact.aspx

I'd happily put money on him doing <40mph, TBH.

Just for info - that's all .. I don't know if the general population think these crash tests are done at 80mph or something ..

OP - everyone is safe and you've hopefully both learnt a lesson or two !

I'd personally buy yours back, sell the seats, engine, box and scrap the rest. Do the sums and see if it's worth it.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
NCAP test for frontal impact are done at 40mph..

http://www.euroncap.com/tests/renault_clio_2000/64.aspx
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/frontimpact.aspx

I'd happily put money on him doing <40mph, TBH.

Just for info - that's all .. I don't know if the general population think these crash tests are done at 80mph or something ..

OP - everyone is safe and you've hopefully both learnt a lesson or two !

I'd personally buy yours back, sell the seats, engine, box and scrap the rest. Do the sums and see if it's worth it.

Are they built in sardine tin factories? I would never of said 30-40 on those pics, ever! Barmy.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Are they built in sardine tin factories? I would never of said 30-40 on those pics, ever! Barmy.

Cars are designed to absorb energy so the squidgy thing inside who has just ran out of talent or had a brain-fart doesn't absorb the brunt of the impact.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
This is why I always preach to anyone who will listen about the danger of stopping on a main road just to let people out. Very kind and all that, but who pays the price? Not the guy who get's let out that's for sure.

Even at junctions people waiting get one flash from a distance, If they aren't looking tough luck.

Sorry to see your loss, but hopefully everyone's fine and a lesson or two were learned.

+1

i keep telling my gf my gfs he's stupid for doing this. It's very dangerous and irresponsible IMO.

Sorry it's happened op, I know you weren't to know and it's a massive shame. How are the insurance handling the 'I stopped on a main road' side of it?

Evo 5, Impreza wrx
Your mate is a plank.
Agreed

If you want to do a deal on those tyres and cup spoiler I will buy them off you within a heartbeat :) if price is good

I also need the brakes x pm me

There is 2 Toyo Proxies with good tread and only one brand new Uniroyal as the other one got destroyed in the crash. Ill have to wait a while to find out what im doing first before i make any decisions on the car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

+1

i keep telling my gf my gfs he's stupid for doing this. It's very dangerous and irresponsible IMO.

Sorry it's happened op, I know you weren't to know and it's a massive shame. How are the insurance handling the 'I stopped on a main road' side of it?

Inappropriate courtesy...there's barely any scenario where it makes sense to slow down and/or stop a line of fast moving main road traffic to let one individual out. Inconvenience everyone behind you to do a good deed for one person? Just no.

I don't even flash from afar, I may ease off to allow them to see an opportunity/gap to pull out into and take it but that's their decision, not mine.

Sorry to see the mess made, hope the insurers are reasonable.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Ah this is awful man. Agreed you've paid a price for being nice here!!

But in the other hand. I'll take them recaros straight off your hands

Mkll Ph1
+1

Insurance won't care. Has this happen me a few months back. 60mph road she the woman in front pulled up dead to let a lorry out. Being that I could see in front if her and knew there was no reason for her to stop I didn't brake hard enough until too late. As soon you go into the back of someone the insurance company won't listen. Bit silly in some cases if you ask me but what can you do.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Insurance won't care. Has this happen me a few months back. 60mph road she the woman in front pulled up dead to let a lorry out. Being that I could see in front if her and knew there was no reason for her to stop I didn't brake hard enough until too late. As soon you go into the back of someone the insurance company won't listen. Bit silly in some cases if you ask me but what can you do.
So you had enough visibility to see ahead of a stopping vehicle, and didn't pull up in time?

Mkll Ph1
So you had enough visibility to see ahead of a stopping vehicle, and didn't pull up in time?

Clear main road. Why would she stop ? Seen her brake lights come on and braked just not as hard as she did. It wasn't my first reaction to think that she must be putting the anchors on when there's f**k all in front of her to give her reason to.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Clear main road. Why would she stop ? Seen her brake lights come on and braked just not as hard as she did. It wasn't my first reaction to think that she must be putting the anchors on when there's f**k all in front of her to give her reason to.
I suppose she could of stopped for any number of reasons. Child running out from a driveway? I'd say it's not your job to decide whether she should be braking, but to react to the fact that she is?

Mkll Ph1
Main road. No driveways just road and a service station and as I stated I did react to her braking but every time I see brake lights in front of me I don't automatically preform an emergency stop.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
If car a brakes and you go into the back of it, there's only 2 options. You've not reacted quickly enough, or you're too close.
Not trying to be awkward, but that's the way I see it!

Mkll Ph1
If car a brakes and you go into the back of it, there's only 2 options. You've not reacted quickly enough, or you're too close.
Not trying to be awkward, but that's the way I see it!

Not trying to be awkward either mate. I've already accepted that I was at fault for it and was only involved in this thread as someone wanted to know how insurance would feel about them having stopped on a main road and I've experienced how they will react.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Buy it back from insurance and bodge it together and carry on using it, then break it when your finished with it?

BG 182
Ouch! looks painful,

I've accidently shunted someone from behind on a roundabout as I saw it was clear and second guessed the driver in front of me. Needless to say, after glancing right to check it was still clear, the car in front of me was still there with his brakes on...

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I had a similar accident too when someone stopped on a slip road while I was looking right to check it was to clear to join (which it was). I was only doing about 30 and they had stopped and it wrecked my car. Their car was pretty much fine though :(. Lol.

Ouch! looks painful,

I've accidently shunted someone from behind on a roundabout as I saw it was clear and second guessed the driver in front of me. Needless to say, after glancing right to check it was still clear, the car in front of me was still there with his brakes on...

Exactly the same thing happened to my partner, it's a pretty common thing - checking to see if there's a gap for you (and assuming the person in front took the previous gap) instead of checking if the car in front has gone already :]