ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Honest opinions needed on this mod. Genuine answers please chaps.

Megane 225 f1
The rs grille has larger holes = more air in = more power! :p

On a serious note I have and I would do it again. Op put the bumper on.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Friend works as an insurance assessor. He would know the difference, and has refused payment in the past.

All depends on the knowledge of the assessor

Ultimately, anyone may or may not get a claim approved with undeclared modifications. No one here can really predict any outcome. Any opinion is really just that. No one has a crystal ball. It boils down to how much risk you're willing to take, ironically. Do you risk a total loss on a £2000 Clio? Probably. The same risk on a £40,000 barge? Most likely not. Unless you're an idiot.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I won't say too much but i've seen about 4-5 claims kicked out completely due to modifications.

I've seen others lose full settlement because the difference between the declaration of her alloys and not was roughly the settlement.

So for eg if you don't declare something and write the car off they may recalculate your premium and look for the difference. Happened to someone with a nearly new FN2. Luckily they gave him the option to pay the difference rather than a 14k hole in his bank account.

So many variables but these guys aren't as stupid as people make out.
For eg if I sign a contract with a massive insurer part of my job is to note non standard items and modifications, I can tell the difference between even basic mods. Do I just turn a blind eye?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I won't say too much but i've seen about 4-5 claims kicked out completely due to modifications.

I've seen others lose full settlement because the difference between the declaration of her alloys and not was roughly the settlement.

So for eg if you don't declare something and write the car off they may recalculate your premium and look for the difference. Happened to someone with a nearly new FN2. Luckily they gave him the option to pay the difference rather than a 14k hole in his bank account.

So many variables but these guys aren't as stupid as people make out.
For eg if I sign a contract with a massive insurer part of my job is to note non standard items and modifications, I can tell the difference between even basic mods. Do I just turn a blind eye?

So would you do the same to an 80 year old woman Gally? The difference between ignorance and deception is only known by the owner of the vehicle really.

If I went an bought some jap wagon I knew nothing about tomorrow, and the wheels had honda badges on, I'd assume it was standard and insure it as so. Does that make me liable for such things? Or even should it?

Thousands of car's go through cliosport member ownership every year, how many of us make small mods? How many cars are there out there being driven with 'mods' that aren't declared.

It's very simple, common sense needs to be applied.

So you run someone over ! cause an accident killing people ! and the assessor knows his beans ! ! you want the cost of that on you ? No brainer to me. Simple answer is find an insurer who does not worry about these kind of mods and declare them or keep it standard.

LY FF182
A friend of mine had a 182 crashed into.. limped it home and stripped things like radio, speakers, dash trim, exhaust, pov spec lights put in, different wheels front to back, fog lights missing, and much more. Assessor came round day after and just said yeah this is a write off. Got full payment.... The car was missing half the things it should have. Just another story to add to the internet

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ultimately, anyone may or may not get a claim approved with undeclared modifications. No one here can really predict any outcome. Any opinion is really just that. No one has a crystal ball. It boils down to how much risk you're willing to take, ironically. Do you risk a total loss on a £2000 Clio? Probably. The same risk on a £40,000 barge? Most likely not. Unless you're an idiot.

Trouble is if you crash your 2k car into a 50k car or do a million quid of personal injury and then your insurance company tries to sue you to recover funds.

Unlikely of course. But worth even a tiny risk of it just to have a different bumper?