ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Honda Civic Type R (2007) vs. 197 Cup.

Shed.
Tis marmite IMO.

556379-1.jpg

556379-2.jpg

556379-4.jpg

581575-4.jpg

Last edited:
  MCS R56
Is the CTR GT not really more of a 225 competitor? I mean the Cup is £4k less...

I would agree with that although the previous CTR was always compared with the Clio. The Clio is more in line with the Corsa, Mini, Fiesta in terms of price or size or performance. I guess they are all hot hatches - some slightly more expensive.

Is the 197 Cup not a more focused car than the CTR? I see the CTR attracting a more mature or older driver.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
You should try an R27, or at least a FF 197 - preferably with the older gearbox too if it's gonna be an R27 you go for IMHO. Much nicer inside, I tested the Cup first I had my mate sat in the back doing his TopGear "nasty plastics" patter heh. The FF spec ones are much nicer looking inside IMHO, and the RS steering wheel is much nicer in the hands.

Glad you enjoyed them both. The new Civic is a lovely car, and has as much torque as any other NA 2.0 16v, in fact more than most, it just feels flat because it's so much faster in Vtec heh. Not really in the same sector as the 197 IMHO, I'd put it in the bigger, Meggy/Golf class.

Considered trying the Golf GTi? They're very nice to sit in (much better with leather to get rid of that god awful Burberry lookin stuff heh) as well, and remap to 240bhp :) One of them, in white, with the optional bigger shiny wheels and black leather, 3 door, with a remap would be very nice. For the same money, you'd be getting a slightly older one, but it would hold it's value well.

In either of these sectors though, there isn't really a bad car IMHO, you'd be happy with any of them. And just, FYI, I've PMed you with the price I was offered a new Cup, with Nimbus and Air for (quite a way south of 13.5k...)

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
That Type R must stink with the number of magic trees swinging from the mirror... "Vanillaroma" as well if I'm not mistaken - properly hums, I'm more of a "New car smell" man myself...

Shed.
You should try an R27, or at least a FF 197 - preferably with the older gearbox too if it's gonna be an R27 you go for IMHO. Much nicer inside, I tested the Cup first I had my mate sat in the back doing his TopGear "nasty plastics" patter heh. The FF spec ones are much nicer looking inside IMHO, and the RS steering wheel is much nicer in the hands.

Glad you enjoyed them both. The new Civic is a lovely car, and has as much torque as any other NA 2.0 16v, in fact more than most, it just feels flat because it's so much faster in Vtec heh. Not really in the same sector as the 197 IMHO, I'd put it in the bigger, Meggy/Golf class.

Considered trying the Golf GTi? They're very nice to sit in (much better with leather to get rid of that god awful Burberry lookin stuff heh) as well, and remap to 240bhp :) One of them, in white, with the optional bigger shiny wheels and black leather, 3 door, with a remap would be very nice. For the same money, you'd be getting a slightly older one, but it would hold it's value well.

In either of these sectors though, there isn't really a bad car IMHO, you'd be happy with any of them. And just, FYI, I've PMed you with the price I was offered a new Cup, with Nimbus and Air for (quite a way south of 13.5k...)

Not fond of golfs and i want somehting relativly new tbh. The honda revs far better than the clio but im not really sure what the gear ratios are like.
I have sat in the r27 but that was a while back now. Also the CTR is cheaper to service, and it doesnt have a cambelt.

Vtec is awesome though, i must admit theres not a massive jump into vtec like people say but theres a noticable increase in torque. Even with normal driving its fun and theres plenty of power under the vtec range and besides, your into vtec before you know it.

- Anyone near Hull fancy giving me a ride as a passenger in an R27 i would apreciate it ;)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I don't beleive the Honda is cheapest to service surely? My mates 03 reg Civic Type R goes to the Honda dealer for servicing and his bills are always more than the £200 my first service on the R27 just cost. He had one once, where he needed tyres and front discs/pads at the dealer, and an MOT (which obviously those things were needed to pad) and the bill was £980 heh. 3 tyres (he is out of sync cos one rear got a puncture and he did it on it's own) at £120 each, pads and discs at a dealer are £££!!!, then the MOT and Service...

I wouldn't count on the Type R been cheaper to service anyway myself. Do you think you'll keep it to 5 years or 72k for the belt change? Even so, the major services at Honda can be very expensive as well, IME of my mates 03 reg again.

Shed.
Well i did speak to them about it and it was pretty cheap, most id be paying would be £300 iirc. im sure there will be abit either side of that figure, anyway i can change pads and probably do the smaller services myself, filters etc etc etc.

Oh and dont worry about tyres lol. Ive got some close friends.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I don't beleive the Honda is cheapest to service surely? My mates 03 reg Civic Type R goes to the Honda dealer for servicing and his bills are always more than the £200 my first service on the R27 just cost. He had one once, where he needed tyres and front discs/pads at the dealer, and an MOT (which obviously those things were needed to pad) and the bill was £980 heh. 3 tyres (he is out of sync cos one rear got a puncture and he did it on it's own) at £120 each, pads and discs at a dealer are £££!!!, then the MOT and Service...

I wouldn't count on the Type R been cheaper to service anyway myself. Do you think you'll keep it to 5 years or 72k for the belt change? Even so, the major services at Honda can be very expensive as well, IME of my mates 03 reg again.

12500 mile [yearly] service approx £200, though moan and you'll get it down to about £160.
Discs and pads - £200 fitted inc VAT.[per axle]
Timing chain [not cambelt] 5yr or 72k - £200 [Honda fixed price serviceplan]

As far as tyres go, the Yoko Parada Spec-2's are highly rated for the CTR and go for about £68 each.

;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Michael 172 starting another thread about a car he would like to buy....
I think he starts one at least once a week...
Regular occurence? Be surprised if he's driven the cars mentioned, the CTR's ride is rock solid. Good cars though, the interior feels so well put together, and plenty of room in the back.

Shed.
Driven them both ......

Cheers for the useful comments everyone, im guessing this will be where the thread turns sour now.

BLK 197 F1
I'm loving the ctr until you get to the arse end, it's a mess. I smile everytime i see the diffuser on mine.

The CTRs ride isn't that harsh at all. OK, it's very stiff, but well damped and never crashy. Getting back in my 182, it felt like it was made from broken orange boxes, rolled more, rattled more...

CTR for - fantastic engine & box, build & service
Clio for - rattles, bits falling off, crap build & s**t service

Shed.
The CTRs ride isn't that harsh at all. OK, it's very stiff, but well damped and never crashy. Getting back in my 182, it felt like it was made from broken orange boxes, rolled more, rattled more...

CTR for - fantastic engine & box, build & service
Clio for - rattles, bits falling off, crap build & s**t service

Thats kind of my view on them both but then i never got to drive the clio properly.

Sean i must admit the clio's arse is very nice compared to the ctr's but then i dunno, i like it.

The reason i ask about cars n stuff every 5 mins is because im trying to consider every single option available to me and im trying to get.

A. People's opinions
B. As much info on the car/s as i can

Obviously there are some members of the forum who feel they have the need to have a dig about it.

I'm biased, as I had an order in for CTR GT some time ago, but decided to cancel it, as I moved abroad and now just thrash my bean up & down the autobahns at vMax :D

When I'm ready for a new ride, I may consider the CTR again and, as much as I love it, I'd never choose the 197 over the Honda. That's just my personal choice between the two, but as said already, they're not really the same type of car. My CTR GT with 19" was coming in at a few shrapnel shy of £20k, so a 197 is really in a different price bracket anyway :)

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
Yes why? i drive a 1.2 16v. They have a relativly good amount of torque. But ive felt better.

Ahh - you qualified it - relative to 1.2. Just that "lots of torque" and "Vtec/197" are not usually found in the same sentence! Not saying it makes either car bad, just that neither is renowned for their torque as both are short geared rev monsters.

Did own 172 Cup + 182FF
I'd still got for the Seat Cupra (new shape with 247bhp or the new JDM Civic Type R). These will be coming in to your budget pretty soon second hand, or even a DC5 Integra Type R

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Just for another note, my local Renault dealer is way better service wise than my local Honda dealer.

Honda dealer changed the pads on my mates CTR. About a month later he took it there for MOT (as it's free since he bought it there) and they said it needed new discs, so he had to get new pads again (fair enough you shouldn't run old pads on new discs) - he asked why they didn't tell him this the month earlier when he paid for the firsst set of pads. They had nothing, not even an apology. Fair enough you could say he should of looked, but most people wouldn't know when a disc was worn, and that's what he's paying them for. You could even say, he saved the £30 on the MOT, but CTR pads from a dealer are not cheap at all, and again, that's why he paid top dollar for a car from a main dealer. I know it's only one person, but with such a simple error...

And I won't even go near what a bunch of sharking, pressuring t***s the salemen are - proper wheeler dealer types...

Don't know anyone with a complaint about the Renault dealer, they've been fabulous for me. Bought my car from a Honda dealer in Scunthorpe, who during their 100 point check and changing of the front tyres miss that one of the front shocks was shot. Local Renauly dealer did it under warranty next day after I'd got it home. Then informed me of some 'play' in something, apparently I'd never notice it but they'd do it for me under warranty. Just made themselves extra work, and I bet the pay from Renault for warranty work isn't exactly big bucks. And the salesman, who'd given me a test drive in their Cup, didn't bat an eyelid that I'd bought from elsewhere.

Shed.
The sales woman was very nice didnt pressuer me atall, however the males were more agressive and began pressuring me. lol.

insignia

Not fond of golfs and i want somehting relativly new tbh. The honda revs far better than the clio but im not really sure what the gear ratios are like.
I have sat in the r27 but that was a while back now. Also the CTR is cheaper to service, and it doesnt have a cambelt.

Vtec is awesome though, i must admit theres not a massive jump into vtec like people say but theres a noticable increase in torque. Even with normal driving its fun and theres plenty of power under the vtec range and besides, your into vtec before you know it.

- Anyone near Hull fancy giving me a ride as a passenger in an R27 i would apreciate it ;)

if you want torque,just buy anything with a diesel engine ie seat leon, skoda, audi the choice is endless, get a remap for £350 and benefit from more 'torque' than you will need, double what your getting from the honda civic type r or clio rs.