ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Home Cinema, A/V, Lighting, Automation Build Thread/Progress Blog

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Chris what do yo do then?

Seems a few more data etc guys on here than I thought...

nice work, i thought it was bad running all the power circuits and data cable through my old works office block, it's a flippin night mare and hated whenever i had to do any work in the office's i'd of sooner stayed out on a job crawling through a loft re wiring a house ha

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Mainly alarms/CCTV, since starting my new job over a year ago I've been doing all sorts. Did the Hilton at wembley, was 3000+ data points !! As well as a 600+ door entry system.

Been doing a few projector and TV installs now and then, that's what keeps me going. Find them the most interesting nowadays. Had enough of scrabbling around in lofts running cables.

Didnt know you we're a Krone tool queen Jamie. PM me if ya want, keep this thread on topic.

SQ5
Our lecture theatres are mainly extron.

Some VC units, life size are Crestron/ipad controlled.

Used to use a few Extron products, are they doing control now? I swear they never used too, mainly just switching units etc... We used to use their mini amplifiers for boardrooms where we could just stick them in the ceiling.

SQ5
Not yet dude, I've been away on holiday. Should be back there Thursday and Friday though to crack on!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Awesome, a man after my own heart with all that cabling. I have the same ocd traits i feel!

I currently work in the electronic security industry, and do plenty of high end properties that with home automation. I feel its the way it will all go eventually (with regards to alarms/cctv/access etc. Its something I want to look at getting into. Trained spark by trade.

hmmm off to search...........!

Rav4
Awesome, a man after my own heart with all that cabling. I have the same ocd traits i feel!

I currently work in the electronic security industry, and do plenty of high end properties that with home automation. I feel its the way it will all go eventually (with regards to alarms/cctv/access etc. Its something I want to look at getting into. Trained spark by trade.

hmmm off to search...........!

What are your thoughts on the more basic stuff such as lightwaverf?

SQ5
UPDATE.

Well, I'm a bit unsure as to where I got to really. The house is coming along, first and second floor are nearing completion so will be able to start hanging televisions soon enough.

u7yhyhen.jpg

Lighting racks are now all wired up, finding the control loop of cables was a bit of a mission as half the house isn't built yet as the pool room has had to be taken down and rebuilt so there were open cables everywhere. Having found all those now we have our full control loop and keypads have started going on the top two floors.

e4yzehud.jpg

Also been able to terminate plates on the top floors and clean areas on the ground floor. Anywhere where a TV is to be installed we are using a brush plate so cables can come out behind television freely with no kinks or extra joins, the ones below have been pushed into the void!

9u9atute.jpg

8esa8e3u.jpg

Speakers have also gone in on the top two floors, this is a Bowers & Wilkins CCM664SR speaker which is a stereo speaker in one unit, mainly used for small rooms such as bathrooms. This is the first part and then the speaker is put into the frame.

y2u7azyt.jpg

And then the final look, in a different room, using Bowers & Wilkins CCM663's.

yja8a5er.jpg

That is as far as I've got with pictures, but most Cat6 terminations have now been done in the rack downstairs, with exception to areas that have no sockets yet due to the rooms being at a different stage, the basement has only just been plastered. We also fitted all the high level CCTV cameras during the week which are now up and running. We're now ahead of ourselves there in all honesty until the place is a little cleaner. Ideally looking to start installing equipment in the first rack so we can get the rest downstairs!

yqavy7un.jpg

In other jobs recently, this week we fitted a 65" Panasonic plasma into a wall. The wood panel goes backwards and up and then the television moves forward flush with the wall.

6yge5y4u.jpg

mehusy2y.jpg

e7uvy9ys.jpg

C+C+Q welcome!

Bumder With A Buffer
When I finally get my own place, I will do something similar. I can get hold of discarded cable from our datacentres, free racks and switches too. Just the actual AV stuff that can get to stupid money.

Good job on it so far. Terminating cables is a f**king nightmare, but at least you aren't having to splice fibre.

Bah splicing fibre is easy! 50 seconds max it can take me per splice..unless it goes wrong of course :eek:
]
]

Danny you can get a splice machine for around 3K nowadays. (know that sounds a lot but it could open up a whole new world of things for you)

I use a FITEL S178 which is about 7K but also use some "cheap chinese crap" as some people would refer to it and they are more then capable of splicing and keeps up with my FITEL.

Obviously if you were a BT installer or similar you wouldn't use what I am.

BMW M135i
Concept is brilliant but wood panelling jesus h :dead: 60s flashback. And I have no doubt how expensive it was.

SQ5
Concept is brilliant but wood panelling jesus h :dead: 60s flashback. And I have no doubt how expensive it was.

The guy is like 70 odd, getting a grasp of the whole room it is a mega room! Dread to think of the cost of it, the guy doing the French polishing was there for a month!

Doesn't look like a 65", deceiving being on a large wall!

First thing we said, the room is about 5m tall with that wall being 3.5ish! Anything smaller would of looked lost.

Where's the sky box etc?

Plant room behind with a data/comms cabinet and AV rack.

We did the speakers yesterday, hidden behind wood panelling with grilles. Didn't get a finished picture.

e5uzunag.jpg

SQ5
Got an update from the original job this thread was about later today. I'll get into more depth later.

uhavuhe3.jpg

The wood panelling in the other job is now being painted! I hope the French polisher never sees it, he'd top himself!

SQ5
Just flicked back and can't believe how far back the last update was!

So in September the original builders fell out with the client and work halted for a month. New builders came late October to carry on.

So far outside I've got most PIR's up and all cameras possible, customer had extras wired which we now need to get too.

This week I got to get stuck in on the first/right hand rack with data and audio. So along come 10 Sonos Connect:AMPs for the internal zones. Also power distribution and individual switches for each row of Sonos Amps.

Racks also have a couple of heat extraction fans each.

In the back of this rack we have the Gira door entry equipment, TV distribution, satellite distribution and CCTV PSU.

All photos below are ones I've taken in order.

y3ura3ah.jpg

9evena4y.jpg

ajesagar.jpg

uzutuhuv.jpg

a4y5e5yd.jpg

ze9azyha.jpg

nerugy7a.jpg

3u9avyqy.jpg

atagy9uh.jpg

ere8eduz.jpg

5a5u9y9u.jpg

muqepeba.jpg

u9yzyret.jpg

And I can finally start the second rack which is mainly AV for the lounge and cinema room.

ureqy6ys.jpg

Won't be back until next week now, but exciting starting to see it coming together now after 2.5 years ago when we were doing the drawings!

SQ5
Impressive

It's the most impressive we've done so spending plenty of time getting everything perfect!

I would love to have your job!

Everyday I love going to work!

Where the hell do people get their money from!

Selling businesses they have built up mainly, on the whole though money around this area is still nothing compared to some of the places we go in London.

This is a domestic job isn't it? It looks like something for a large company. What is a ball park figure for this type of job?

Yep, completely domestic but easily on a scale of a medium size company with all the data connections! Let alone all the AV equipment.

I'm gonna hazard a guess of £50k.

I think we've hit £50k a long time ago. I've just found the AV schedule which doesn't include televisions but includes the Sonos, amplifiers, BluRay, HD distribution etc.... No CCTV, door entry, data distribution and that totals at £33k. That doesn't include labour as all labour is on day rate.

Its a monster job but it's going to be perfect!

172 Cup
Sorry if its already been mentioned but what automation system are you using?
I used to install control4 amazing the sort of stuff you can program it to do.

SQ5
Sorry if its already been mentioned but what automation system are you using?
I used to install control4 amazing the sort of stuff you can program it to do.

We will be using RTI, the RTI Panel app for iOS and android is brilliant