ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hmmm, what pads for 99% road use, 1% track use?

RB 182
As title, heard that stock pads wear down after 1 track day, but don't want full on track pads as will prob only do one or two track days

Cheers

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Have a quick search, there are loads of threads on pad selection for the mk2 dude :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Mintex M1144, had good feedback from people on here running them

I had these, good for the road (as are proper Renault OEM's imo) but not good for track!

Faxo I personally would say DS2500's, im using them on road and have also done a track day with them and will be doing more this year, not as good as my old CL RC5's but good enough for me.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nooooooo.

They're s**te. They fade after such a short amount of heavy use.

Not in my experience they don't.

Good bite from cold, low dust, stand up to track abuse, reasonable price (if you're buying from G172). Will probably go for another set once my current ones are dead...and my mileage per annum is almost exactly 99% road and 1% track.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Perhaps the 200 pads are better Mark? You do have better calipers after all!

Not in my experience they don't.

Good bite from cold, low dust, stand up to track abuse, reasonable price (if you're buying from G172). Will probably go for another set once my current ones are dead...and my mileage per annum is almost exactly 99% road and 1% track.

Brembo pads or mintex1144 off G172. DS2500 are getting bad reviews at the moment something about them falling apart iirc.

LY R26 #288
Ds2500's for me. Excellent pads, and they last ages. Never used them on track but they've been used heavily on the road. Will definitely get another set when these are dead.

WRX
You get what you pay for, if you remember that when you're on track you'll be fine. DS2500s have been great for me, only time I've had a problem was when I pushed them a bit too hard at Oulton (on reflection I was braking very late and did a couple more laps than I should have). As long as you do 15-20 minute stints and let them cool, they won't let you down.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
You get what you pay for, if you remember that when you're on track you'll be fine. DS2500s have been great for me, only time I've had a problem was when I pushed them a bit too hard at Oulton (on reflection I was braking very late and did a couple more laps than I should have). As long as you do 15-20 minute stints and let them cool, they won't let you down.

Spot on Adam!

I suggested the M1144 as they are designed as a "fast road" pad. They are a similar price to greenstuff pads (that the OP has asked about in a recent thread) and imo are a good suggestion for the OP use, ie 99% road and 1% track use.

They are the same compound in all the M1144 shapes, my bet is that as Mark Cup has done a lot of track days and from his videos i've seen, he will not be on the brakes as much as some.

The Ferodo DS2500 will take the track work more but i didn't suggest them as they are twice the budget that i think the OP is looking to spend. I like these a lot and really rate them on the Clio 172/182.
The recent thread about them falling to bits are more than likely due to people not adhering to Adam's post above. Ie inadequate cooling to brakes and not allowing them to cool down/doing too many laps on them. For a full on track car you want to be looking at the DS3000. Again not what the OP was asking about...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Standard and if you are doing that few trackdays just accept breaking a bit gentler.

ds2500 if you arent prepared to make that compromise on track but they are far dearer than standard and wont last as long (still very good longevity though just not as good as standard).

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Yes Fred but you will be going quick a fair bit quicker then the OP, as i'm presuming he is just getting into trackdays mate.

God I'm bloody slow at typing :eek:

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Chip spot on as ever mate.

I know its unrelated to this but as they were mentioned I've had green stuff and they weren't even up to fast road on my c2 tbh.

Did 5 laps of brands for a laugh & they where smoking.

Lionel Richie
Stock are fine on track (to a point) depends how you drive i've seen crap drivers melt expensive pads and good drivers fine(ish!)on stock pads

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I quite like how 1155 work for fast road use or light track use but the noise gets on my nerves, just no need for a pad thats no better than a ds2500 to be so much noisier IMHO

172cup turbo & rx8
Any opinions on bluestuff pads the op's application?

think there less than £100 on camskill

Renault clio 172
I agree with chip, I've done a track day on standards and they were fine just don't brake like a loony, I just went out for 20 mins then gave them a brake to cool down to avoid fade, the last thing I want is to go into the back of someone's 10k-15k car lol