ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hmmm. Bit of a TV/Aerial Question.

Mondeo STTDCI
I live in a rented house.

There is an aerial on the roof (I presume) and a socket on the wall in the living room.

When I moved in I got a lead, put it in the socket, the other end in the TV and it works.

But what if I want a TV in another room? And I'm not talking a portable with a coat hanger aerial. Another flatscreen jobbie.

Whats the easiest way to make that work then? I dont have Sky, BT Vision or any of that shizzle. Just Freeview inbuilt on existing tele.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Depends on the strengths of singel your currently getting. You may have a strong signel, which could cope with being split, otherwise you made need an amp to boost it first.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Sack off doing all that runnig another wire thing, as long as the signal in your area is not totally awful, just get a boosted aerial from Argos or similar. I got one really quite cheap, 5 or 10 pounds and it uses the mains to amplify your signal.

Very effective, I get all channels perfect.

I'll link you when I'm not on iPhone.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
This is what I have, it may look lame and is cheap, but uses the mains to boost the signal, and to give you an idea of how good it is, if i unplug it from the mains I get maybe 1 freeview channel if I'm lucky, with it on, I get all of them with no issues.

Aerial > Splitter and just run another coax cable down through the cavity of the all. Wouldn't take to long to do and it isn't a big job.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
But it involves running wires around the house, which if you're renting, is effort, he could try something like my solution which is cheap and involves minimum effort ;)

I got one that claimed to be ideal for digital reception aswell. Plugged it up, scanned for digital services on my TV and the only channel i got was 5! Ended up wireing back up the aerial point.

Track 172 & Golf R32
you will need. 2 way amplifier, coaxial cable, f-connectors, or coax plugs!

whereabout it essex are you? im an aerial & satellite engineer aswell as doing the networking and that. i can get you the bits for next to nothing if u wanted to do it yourself or if you aint that far away il do it for a beer!

Note: you can split good signal but the noise/bit error levels go up which could cause a very tempermentle picture where you would get pixelation and crakling

also you can amplify a weakish signal but this also creates noise on the signal and this stands for all the aerial points in the house and not just the new one

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Try my thing dave, for a tenner you can't go wrong, buy it, plug it in, try to tune, if it works, then great, if not, take it back and you've lost nothing.

Its by far the least effort and if it works like mine does you'll be chuffed :)

Mondeo STTDCI
you will need. 2 way amplifier, coaxial cable, f-connectors, or coax plugs!

whereabout it essex are you? im an aerial & satellite engineer aswell as doing the networking and that. i can get you the bits for next to nothing if u wanted to do it yourself or if you aint that far away il do it for a beer!

Note: you can split good signal but the noise/bit error levels go up which could cause a very tempermentle picture where you would get pixelation and crakling

also you can amplify a weakish signal but this also creates noise on the signal and this stands for all the aerial points in the house and not just the new one

Literally only just come back to this thread!

Thanks for the offer but I'm South Essex so probably a bit far from you. Still looking into it havent got funds for the tele yet!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I'd second Robbos on this. Used to have one at my old place and you wouldn't think it looking at it, but it worked great. Got every channel with no breaking of sound or picture.

Defo get down to Argos or Maplins and try one out, and as said, worst case it doesn't work well in your area, take it back.