ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hit and miss diesel

1.5 dci Expression
Evening people! I'm a newbie so hello to everyone!;) This may sound obvious to someone on here but I may be missing the obvious!!!!
Last week the alternator pulley decided to destroy itself on the misses 1.5dci and then shred the belt as well. I've heard that this can take out the cambelt too so i think i can regard myself as rather fortunate!! Anyway, I replaced the alternator and belt, bit of a pain but there you go, bumper off, front panel loosened off, air con pipe removed engine mount off etc. etc. (you've been there) All finished. I started the car up and away it went, first pot over the top! Then i made the mistake of turning it off. Now it starts when it feels like it, usually about the sixth turn. Runs great when it is running but i dont want to start throwing stuff at it for no reason!! Have i done something stupid and missing the obvious or is this a normal occurence? :S

1.5 dci Expression
Since fitting the alternator! There was some of the old belt inside the cam cover but it came out pretty easily. As i said, when its running its great, switch it of and it wont have it for about half a dozen turns then fires up as if there's nothing wrong! :banghead:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
could be something little or something big that has now developed. are you getting any whines?

cam sensor not damaged or dodgy connection ?

1.5 dci Expression
Yeah, I think I may have to check the obvious stuff!! Is the cam sensor the plug in the cam cover? Do these have a crank angle sensor too? Although this sounds too coincidental! Thanks for your replies people!! :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
cam sensor is in the engine mount attached to the engine, not the mount that you can take off the top.

crank sensor above gearbox. bit of a b**ch to get to.

1.5 dci Expression
Okay peeps, update on the misses dci! I decided to take the bull by the horns and put my hand in my very tight pockets!! I've been out and bought a cam belt kit for it just to give me piece of mind. So i started to fit it at some god forsaken hour of the morning!! (9 o'clock!) to give myself a bit of breathing space for any unforseen c##p that might raise its ugly head. Strip down not too bad, all went well until I tried to fit the locking pin into the cam pulley! 2 TEETH OUT! WTF!! Anyway, new tensioner fitted, belt on, timing pins correctly fiitted, all fitted back as it should.
Hey presto, cracked up first time, smooth as a sewing machine, (not bad for a 162k diesel) Now starts first time, every time!!!! :clap:
Just a quick thanks to all those who gave their advice!