ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High mileage-how can one tell if the clutch is starting to slip?

Clio 172 Phase II
My 172 phase 2 is on 156,000 miles on original clutch-most of those miles were motorway miles so I guess it's why it's lasted this long. However, the clutch 'bite' point is very near the top of its travel. Anyway... my question is- is there a reliable way of testing it or telling if it's slipping? Thanks!

Ph2 172
Load it up in a high gear at low speed, put your foot to the floor and see if the revs rise without an increase in speed. If they do, that's clutch slip.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its going to slip it will be at about 5000-5500rpm generally as thats where they make peak torque. If the revs rise and the speedo doesnt follow then its slipping.

So big hill and 3rd/4th gear and put your footdown. (fifth is even better but thats over 100mph of course)

172 cup
^^^ same all mine have had a high biting point. first time i drove my clio away form a selller i stalled lol

I normally test this on a car i want to buy. put in fifth at low speeds and accelerate, if the revs raise without the car moving the clutch is slipping.