ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Lambda reading,182 Exhaust.

Clio 182 cup
HI,

Just like to see if anyone out there has any views on this.
My 182 just failed MOT for high "Lambda Reading" = too much Oxygen in my exhaust.
CO and HC passed by miles. Car is standard.
Going to have a good look for leaks in the exhaust.

Is there any chance that the twin tail pipe Exhaust "Blueflame"could cause this failure?
Seen on a ford forum of someone who had the same problem that was cured by covering up part of his big bore tail pipe.

Its getting a new upstream Lambda as soon as it arrives from northwest. Has had previous intermittant Upstream Lambda sensor circuit fault logged, but been clear for a while.
After looking in to it discovered the MOT lambda reading is not a true check on the sensor.

Any Ideas or Opinions?

Thanks.

renaultsport clio172
hi mate ive come across this quite a few problems like this on mot failures, 9/10 its an air leak in the exhaust the lambda sensor can affect it but normally the c.o reading too. if there was a fault code stored for the lambda sensor dont assume its at fault without testing it, and that sometimes a fault code can be a symptom of another fault. alot of aftermarket exhausts have air leaks that can be repaired easily! i have heard of blanking off a tail pipe but it doesnt do alot! good luck.

ITB'd MK1
block one of the tailpipes with a wet cloth. Perfectly legitimate, as you're just allowing the sensor to see un disturbed gases. Large tailpipes allow air to be sucked in from outside which gives a false reading

Clio 182 cup
Thanks for the advice guys, working 12hr nights just now so hope to get a chance to have a proper look soon.
I didnt mention the HC value was Zero :-? Whats that all about?
And the exhaust system had a load of oil down it when the last engine chucked a rod.

Clio 182 cup
Put a new upstream lambda sensor on and fixed the little blows at exhaust joints.
3 mpg better at 70mph and now passed with lambda reading = 1.003.
The exhaust would probably have sorted it out but , passed so happy days.