ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID Kit Mot Fail ?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Iv been told by a mate that a HID Kit will fail a MOT.. is that correct ?

as the mechanic who did a Pre Mot said nothing about them tbh, so if their going to fail il remove them and fit original bulbs back before tuesday

anyone expericene any problems during MOT with them on ??

Ta
James

taken from another forum

I work as a vehicle examiner within VOSA and keep an eye on the MOT garages. I basicly look after the MOT scheme on behalf of the Secretary For State. With regards to the 'pass/fail' criteria for HID headlight aim at test I can give you a difinitive answer.

As long as the level of the light is at the correct hight and the cut off/break point is going the right way (to the left) then it will pass this part of the MOT.

There is no fail criteria as yet in the testing manual and there is no requiremnts for ant auto levelling

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
my bros has passed and hes had them a while and hasn't got projectors either

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
There are lots of conflicting satements about this. Some are saying that it will fail without the washers and auto leveling, while others are saying its not an issue as long as the beam is correct, etc. I suppose it would depend on the tester.

S2000
There are lots of conflicting satements about this. Some are saying that it will fail without the washers and auto leveling, while others are saying its not an issue as long as the beam is correct, etc. I suppose it would depend on the tester.

This is not the case. The MOT test does not involve any sort of check on the presence of Auto beam leveling, washers etc etc. All it includes is a check of the operation of the bulbs and to ensure they are aligned correctly, this is the case regardless of whether you have HIDs or standard halogen bulbs fitted.

I have spoken to various MOT testers about this topic as I sell a lot of kits and like to make sure my information is accurate as this is a commonly asked question. Without fail I have always been given the same answer.

The question of the legality of kits is a totally different matter, but for an MOT test as an HID kit WILL pass, however you need to ensure the bulb alignment is correct in the same way as you would with standard bulbs.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
well the Adjuster works so i can have them up and down, but just the fact the light bounces in the headlight would mean a failed mot session.

but i just dont want to put it through and fail on the lights if it does, £50 down the drain then, so just for my peace il swap them round :)

clio 3.
but just the fact the light bounces in the headlight would mean a failed mot session.

if that's the only problem Y dont you fix it....are you missing a fixing plate?
I've ha HIDs in various vehicles that have gone through the MOT, and all the MOT tester said was,(when he saw the start flash) was prepare to be blinded. so he knew what they were but made no other comment on them.

bullit

audi a6 3.0tdi
Mine passed with them in but i've got projector headlamps so that helps focus the light as it should be.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Had mine in at Renault 3 weeks ago.

My HID's are 8000k, nothing mentioned bar "they look nice mate,is it standard fit...?"

I think it helps the fact that i have the optic lens on it that cars with factory Xenon fitment get makes it look original as it were

RS CLIO 197
they may pass the mot....

hid are not "e" marked or homologated for the use of, so in effect break "construction and use regs" because if they are fitted as standard they must have self level and washers fitted

the headlights are not designed for the output of the bulbs and can cause dazzle of on coming cars

there are lots of issue with "well it passed an mot"....so that must make it right then!

White Sti Hatch
Itll pass long as its in Projector head lamps, if its in standard open headlamps it Should fail but some how c**ts get away with it !

Id love to be a cop i tell you id hold the reccord for the amount of folk pulled for fogs and the like !

FN2 Type R GT
I had my car m.o.t'd today, no problems with H.I.D kit i have on it, only issue was my numberplate bulb not working, other than that flew through!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
oh ye sorry forgot to say, the failed on the lights :p but since the garage were doing the MOT they guy i kno put some original bulbs in :p

but now i cant connect the HID' up correctly as they point to the floor ffs,