ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with Surround sound.

For the money, a very good piece of kit. It's one I've recommended a few times before.

I have Onkyo, great sound. You won't be disappointed, and it leaves the option to change/upgrade your sub speakers separately at a later date, as the amp will be more than enough.

MkV Golf R32
Thanks for the input, and went and got that anyway. £317 so a nice bargain I hope. Just need to get it all setup now. Apparently I need an optical cable for sky. Will any optical cable do? Or do you get what you pay for?

You don't need optical out, as the cables you have will carry sound anyway (as it currently does to your TV).

I have a few optical cables, got them off eBay for about £5 each.

MkV Golf R32
Ok, bit confused now. Was told I need optical because hdmi (through sky) doesnt carry sound and picture.

Ford Kuga Phev
To get 5.1 Sound from Sky HD you need to use either a Optical Cable or a Coax Cable, any optical lead will do, you're right Sky HD doesn't have 5.1 over HDMI.

Hope that helps!
l

330Ci (Fail)Sport
As above, HDMI from sky only carries 2 channel sound. You need the optical for 5.1. You'll need to set your amp up to use the video from the HDMI and the sound from the optical if you're going to connect he sky HDMI to the amp and then amp to TV.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
To get 5.1 Sound from Sky HD you need to use either a Optical Cable or a Coax Cable, any optical lead will do, you're right Sky HD doesn't have 5.1 over HDMI.

Hope that helps!
l

Interesting !! Will upgrade mine when I move house. Thanks for the hint ! :D

Let me know how you get on with the Onkyo 2.1 .. I want one for the new bedroom. Been impressed with my Onkyo AV Amp for the last year hooked up to my KEFs in the front room :approve:

MkV Golf R32
I will update how I get on and what the system is like once I have installed.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1.8 Civic EX
Erm? I have the 3405 and sky is working fine through the hdmi picture and surround.

Granted it might not be "true" 5.1 but it's blinding and sounds perfect to me.