ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help with horrendous noise

ph2 172
Gave it death last night and now it sounds like this

Clio rattle:

Any help is much appreciated
Thanks
Nayls

Listerine & Poledo
lol, nice.
No idea what you've done to it, might just be a heat shield or similar.

Listerine & Poledo
COuld be a shagged bottom end for all we know, one mid-def video looking at a rocker cover with the sound of a 1970's diesel in the background doesn't say a lot.

ph2 172
Defo not a heatshield
And yeah the video aint the best i know but its all I have available :(
Anybody had similar?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Usually when they sound like old diesel black cabs it's because the dephaser pulley's knackered, like this.

But yours sounds alot worse than normal.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
@Nayls Does the noise disappear above 1700rpm?

That doesn't sound like a dephaser to me though. Sounds like my first 172 did and that turned out to be due to oil starvation

ph2 172
i'm pretty certain it's not dephaser,have heard a few before and it doesn't sound like they did.
could it be clutch/flywheel??

I had a similar noise on an Alfa Twin spark.

It was a knackered big end bearing and a scored crank. :confused:

Usually running low on oil, or on some engines having a cambelt snap can cause the bearings to become flat spotted due to the shock of the pistons hitting the valves. If the bearings are not changed when the head is rebuilt they can fail a few miles down the road

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Mine sounded like than when the belt jumped a few teeth, how it didn't damage internals I'll never know.

ph2 172
Update! i have now lost all gears when the car is running,it will go in to gear with the car off though! and if i start it with it in gear and the clutch pedal down it still try's to creep forward.
so im thinking it's clutch/flywheel?
it still drives fine,in any gear that i start off in,i just cant change gear.

** i know starting it can damage it further! but i have had to try and locate the problem**

106GTI / NovaC20LET
sounds like bits of pressure plate bouncing around the bell housing. jack the front up with the car with it in neutral and turn the driveshafts by hand. If it sounds fucked you know its gearbox/clutch related. If it sounds ok you have probably spun a shell and its new engine time.

dan's cast offs.
sounds more external than engine internal. especially with the gearbox problems, had a 1.2 the other week with knackered diff, hard to tell from the clip but could of been a similar noise? that mad it all the time except in 4th for some bizarre reason!!

ph2 172
D DAY! will find out later what the issue is :( most people think engine but i'm not convinced but we'll soon see i suppose.

ph2 172
The car is alive again :) engine is running very good,just as it did before the noise.
The noise was a loose flywheel,changed the clutch while it was all apart and also fitted new flywheel bolts.
Happy to be back on the road again

Reactions: Gus