ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! What shall I do?

JLK

1.2 Replica
So when I got my policy in October I specifically asked my insurer if I can have modifications on my policy and they said yes, so for the first few months I had an induction kit then I decided to remove that. Now 2 weeks ago I rang the company up to ask about fitting the 172 Kit and they said it would be fine and that it wasn't going to be more than £200 to add to the policy, so I have got the kit, sprayed and fitted. I then ring the company and they say "you are not allowed modifications with this policy" so after spending all the money and being told I can't have it what do I do? Cancel the policy and find a different one or take all the kit of and store it untill my next policy in October as I have already got nearly 4 months no claims?

Help!

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Ring and tell them you believe the policy was missold to you, Ie you thought you could have mods. Get a refund and move policy's simples

JLK

1.2 Replica
No the £200 was for the bodykit, and if I change company I lose 4 months no claims and I wouldn't get refunded 100% of what I paid

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Oh right, I see my mistake; after seeing removing the induction kit and saying putting a 172 kit on, I thought you meant some sort of 172 induction kit.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
In answer of what to do, I see three options:

- Wait it out for the year and fit the stuff next year with a new policy.
- Sell what you bought and continue with the current policy (I'm pretty sure you wouldn't wanna do this after getting it all sprayed etc).
- Leave now and go to a company that will accept you.

4 months isn't that much to lose; if they record their calls though, you might be able to chase them up on their word, and then even if you have to leave them you might be able to demand a complete refund as they misinformed you regularly.

JLK

1.2 Replica
In answer of what to do, I see three options:

- Wait it out for the year and fit the stuff next year with a new policy.
- Sell what you bought and continue with the current policy (I'm pretty sure you wouldn't wanna do this after getting it all sprayed etc).
- Leave now and go to a company that will accept you.

4 months isn't that much to lose; if they record their calls though, you might be able to chase them up on their word, and then even if you have to leave them you might be able to demand a complete refund as they misinformed you regularly.

I don't really see number 2 as an option because I wouldn't receive nearly what I paid especially due to the colour, not its a popular colour

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
JLK did you take out insurance over the phone initially? Did you specifically ask about modifications at the time and have it verbally confirmed as ok? If the answer is yes to both request the original call is listened to (they will have it saved) if they did say mods were ok on that call and now say they are not then it's been mis-sold and you have come back, they will either need to honour their commitment or refund you in full.

JLK

1.2 Replica
JLK did you take out insurance over the phone initially? Did you specifically ask about modifications at the time and have it verbally confirmed as ok? If the answer is yes to both request the original call is listened to (they will have it saved) if they did say mods were ok on that call and now say they are not then it's been mis-sold and you have come back, they will either need to honour their commitment or refund you in full.

yes to both questions mate.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
yes to both questions mate.

Call back, speak to a manager explain calmly what the issue is, ask them to listen to the original call and to come back to you.

If you still get no joy request copies of the recordings and approach the FSA (Google).

JLK

1.2 Replica
I received this email " Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your email.

I can see from your policy that you previously had an after-market exhaust/air filter fitted to the vehicle which was accepted by the insurance company because they will quote with certain modifications but with regards to the physical appearance of the vehicle the insurance company would not be able to cover you with these added." this in a nut shell says performance ypgrades are okay and physical apperance are not :eek: abit confusing. thought it would be other way round

JLK

1.2 Replica
I think I should take it off in the meantime just to make sure my cover isn't void and try and sort it out with the insurance

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Again, refer back to your original conversations, were you told this when you took out the insurance? Is it in the T&C's of your insurance that you signed? If not then again it's been mis-sold, FSA will investigate.

That said personally I'd just bin them off and go with someone else.

JLK

1.2 Replica
Again, refer back to your original conversations, were you told this when you took out the insurance? Is it in the T&C's of your insurance that you signed? If not then again it's been mis-sold, FSA will investigate.

That said personally I'd just bin them off and go with someone else.

I read through all the documents and no place does it say I can't have physical bodywork changes. All it says in that respect, "if the physical appearance changes let us know as this means the car is attracted higher by potential thieves" something on them lines is all it says

JLK

1.2 Replica
Why would you? If they refunded you 100%, you've just had 4 months free insurance. That's not how business works.

I know this! that's why I said it because it wouldn't be worth it financially to cancel the policy unless I received 100% back but that's impossible.

I know this! that's why I said it because it wouldn't be worth it financially to cancel the policy unless I received 100% back but that's impossible.
But you've been insured for 4 months - hence you've paid that 4 months.

It wouldn't be worth it financially to let the policy continue if you didn't have the car or whatever, but in this case you've received what you've paid for (4 months insurance - ignoring the mod situation).