ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help please, speedo not working

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Hi there,
I have a Clio 182 at the moment with a speedo not working and I'm struggling to find the information I need.
The car is a 54 plate with ESP
There are no warning lights on and all other dials are working fine
I have checked the values of the wheel speed sensors and they are all reading and reading correctly.
I have brought up the actual values for the UCH and everything is reading correctly apart from I have no vehcile speed.
From the wiring on autodata it shows some wiring coming from abs to the cluster and can lines to the UCH.
I was thinking that the ABS unit might send a signal to the cluster to actuate the speedo, but then in that case that wouldn't explain why I don't have a vehicle speed in the UCH. So is the vehicle speedo broadcast via the CAN network?
The car has already had an ABS unit and cluster fitted by someone else, but to no avail.

Was wondering if anyone had any information on the speedo and how it works?
Or any experience of this fault?
Cheers
Moo

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
Check the ABS sensors on the hubs? Usually the pretty flexible rubber cable in the wheel arch, they just pull out, clean them and the area and chuck them back in, if it doesn't work then at least you've cleaned them, can't be a bad thing surely ;) other than that, gearbox speedo drive? Check it's all plugged in and stuff? That's about as far as my knowhow with these things goes, and I could be totally off the mark with my suggestions anyway :)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
As I said the ABS sensors are reading so they aren't the problem.
Also I have checked and the ABS is working fine.
As the car is an ABS/ESP model it doesn't have the speedo drive in the gearbox

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Right I've had a look at the car again today.
I have tested all 4 wires shown on autodata that go from the ABS unit to the cluster and they are all ok
I have checked the actual values once again and, there is no vehicle speed listed in ABS as a value you can read.
This time I appear to have a vehicle speed in the UCH reading correctly when the car is moving!?!?!
But at the same time the vehicle speed shown in the engine control unit is NOT reading.
How very odd.
Anyone with any information on how the speedo works on this vehicle would be gratefully recieved.
Something like a wiring diagram or pin outs of the instrument cluster and/or the UCH or anything would bea HUGE help

Thank you everyone
Moo