ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed, massive emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Recaro Black Gold 182
Hi,

I've got a reasonably large issue with my car, the car was up on axle stands tonight while i was changing the springs over, all done, no problems, however...

my accomplice pulled down on the driveshaft (the shaft that connects to the axle and drives the wheels, i think) too hard and the rubber seal looks like it has either torn/popped off, this was then followed by a lot of fluid dumping itself on to the drive.

Is this serious, can it be driven to a garage, what is the fluid, what's the best thing i can do??

Cheers
Oli

Clio 172
i wouldnt panic too much i've heard of this happening to loads of people when they've changed their springs. (i was dead careful when i did mine). i think that it can be fixed without much bother. im not sure exactly how though. wait for the other responses.

53 Clio's & counting
sounds like you have ripped your cv boot, which side of the shaft has it torn, the side by the wheel or by then enigne?

where abouts are ya mate im n wilts too

Mk2 Clio dci
Pulled the driveshaft out? The fluid will be gearbox oil if it poured out fast. Not too sure about the seal without seeing it.
Wouldn't drive it to be on the safe side.

Clio 172
from doing a search this has happened to a few people. some managed to re attach the cv boot at then top up their gearbox oil. is it torn or just pulled off?

Recaro Black Gold 182
Russ I'm in Ashton Keynes, about 15mins from Ciren.

I can't figure if it's torn or not, is it one peice or not? Its just the seal that's gone though, the shaft hasn't actually come out.

Is this an easy thing to sort, not too expensive???

lift number 1 @ btm
it will most likely not be torn, pulling the driveshaft out will drain the gearbox.
you need to check that the shaft is properly seated too.
if the seal is damaged it should be obvious i'd have thought?

Recaro Black Gold 182
Would've gotten some pics but by the time I had got the shock all secured back in it was über dark and cold!

Is the car undrivablr in this condition? Can it be towed?

lift number 1 @ btm
can't be driven without oil in the box, i don't know if it can be towed or not. probably ok, but wait for someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Recaro Black Gold 182
I'll have a proper look tomorrow, I'm hoping that the rubber joint has just popped off as I've read they do this and it's wasn't much force either.

Where abouts do you top up the gearbox fluid as there isn't any in there anymore!

sounds as though you've pulled the driveshaft out of the diff and have lost some oil, and have also (coincidentally) unseated one of the drive shaft boots. picture will help but, if that's all you've done, all you need do is top up the gear oil and reseat the boot.

ed. sorry, typing too slowly; sounds as though you've got it

A

ashy_gtt

Tee only driveshaft that runs in the gearbox is the passenger side one. The Boot is actually secured into the box with a retaining plate which is bolted into the box with 3 M8 bolts. It is possible to pull the boot free from the retaining plate without damaging it. However, I would wait until its light to sort it and I wouldn't drive the car until you have, you don't know how much gearbox oil you've lost. It would be fine to tow the car if you have put the drive shaft back in securely!

I would just wait until the morning, you'll probably just need to remove the bolts and refitt the retaining plate over the boot and put it all back in then top up your gearbox oil!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol it says in the haynes manual in big bold letters
BE CAREFUL NOT TO PULL ON THE DRIVESHAFT,

numpty that helped me fit my springs did the same thing,
all i did was pop the rubber seal over the driveshaft again, and put a new clip on it,
you dont really need a huge amount of gearbox oil

i lost 3lites out of the 3.5 in the gearbox and it drove fine without crunching,
got it topped up the next day,

your not the first and your not the last to do this mate

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
you have to get the oil pumped in,
unless you have the pump itll be a garage or a mate to do it

its like a tube with a plunger one end, and a lil injector at the other,
theres a small hole in the top of your gearbox for it do screw into,

no you can do it any other way,
we tried that aswell

53 Clio's & counting
il pm you my number chap, im only in malmesbury so give me a txt if you need a hand and il pop over and have a look for you :)

Mk2 Clio dci
How are you meant to pour it in the hole on the side. I always pump it in whenever i do a gear box. is the only way.

53 Clio's & counting
there is a hole in the front of the box, with a plastic butterfly bolt on, you undo that and simply push a hose it and fill it up from there, a pump is faster but its just as easy to do it this way, iv done it probably a dozen times over the years this way on my drive lol

Recaro Black Gold 182
Here are the photos, looks to me like the CV boot has slipped off but not actually broken, the clip is still intact too, theoretically the fix should be to re fit the boot and top up the gear box oil?

The wheel spins freely too, would this suggest that the driveshaft is also sitting correctly? If so the question i need to answer is can it be towed??

The top picture shows how much oil has leaked.

th_DSC_0033.jpg

th_DSC_0032.jpg

th_DSC_0030.jpg

th_DSC_0029.jpg

th_DSC_0028.jpg

th_DSC_0027.jpg

Recaro'd 182
to fill the gearbox up i took my air box out of mine so i could get a flexi funnel in. I then added the oil till it poured out of the hole. Job done.

The wheel spins freely too, would this suggest that the driveshaft is also sitting correctly? If so the question i need to answer is can it be towed??

sounds as though the driveshaft is back in OK. should say that i've not taken one out of one of these - but can't see it having gone back in 'incorrectly' if it's home - ?

if you're towing it on an a-frame (front wheels off the ground), there's zero risk. if you're towing it on a rope, the diff is obviously going to be turning - but there's still very little danger of any damage imo; it's not really unless you run a car (with low gear oil) ragged that you can be fairly sure of damaging it.

Recaro Black Gold 182
I've tried fred, to no avail. Need to loosen the clip first by the looks of it, but obviously dont have the tool to do so. Unless i'm missing a trick??

Would be towing by a rope too!

Lionel Richie
no leave the clip alone!!!! you have to undo the 3 x 13mm bolts holding the gaitor onto the box, slip the edge over the bearing on the driveshaft, and it will slide on

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
when i did this, (exactly the same thing)

i couldnt get the gator back on,
so i just snipped the metal clip,
and new a new clip on,
piece of piss

Status
Not open for further replies.